Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

What did you do when your experiments failed?

A

I have already repeated my experiment for 5 times to no avail. What did you do when you were in this situation? Did you go celebrate? I plan to celebrate my failure tonight

P

I spent three months of my masters working on the same failed experiment over and over and over again, changing little bits but seeing no improvement in the results. I did various things, went for walks, treated myself to something nice and even when into what I like to think of as an academic coma (where I basically ceased to function for a couple of days). The only thing I never did was cry over it so I'd definately go down the celebration route anything to stop you from becoming too disheartened. I'll keep my fingers crossed for experiment number 6.

A

It sucks when everytime the experiment I did failed. I am still trying to figure out what went wrong but I guess I should take your advice and go for academic coma for a week. Thanks for your prayer

C

It depends on what you mean by 'failed'. If something has gone wrong technically with your experiment then yes, that would be deeply frustrating and you are right just to do something enjoyable before having another go. If you mean you got the opposite results to the ones you hoped for, then maybe you have a valid set of results that shed new light on something?