Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

1+3 supervision long distance

O

I am to start a 1+3 quota studentship this autumn, which is great. My supervisor-to-be, however, has just emailed me saying she has accepted a job offer at the other end of the country. This means her supervision will be largely long-distance, though the uni will apparently pay for her to travel down and meet me regularly.

There is the option of registering at her new uni, but I think I want to stay with the original place as I'm happy in this city.

I am meeting with her on Friday to talk through how this will all affect me. I am a little worried, in that our subject is quite interdisciplinary and I'm not sure how many more on our 'team' actually exist at the university. I do know a couple of other students there who use the same theoretical framework and are her proteges, so I won't be the only one...

Anyone else had this type of thing occur? Before the start of studies?

======= Date Modified 07 Jul 2010 17:32:25 =======
I live about 2 hours away from my uni, so realistically I only see sup abot 3 times a term. We phone each other, and I'm pretty independent - I like to be left alone and she can trust me to get on with it.

I think if you work like that, then the PhD will be fine - you may struggle with job opportunities afterwards, because your face isn't there in her department. Although if you are working at another uni, then I guess you don't have to worry about that.

You might have to check your university policiy though - my uni won't allow 1st supervisors to be external.

nice hat (up)

O

Seems like she will be allowed to continue to supervise me. I have a second sup lined up who will continue to be internal. She's a conscientious person and I know her a bit through other people and trust her, so I think I will get a good deal. Her other supervisees seem happy.

But she would have been teaching a key module on the MSc component of this, and I don't know if the current uni is going to replace her. Our theoretical standpoint is quite marginalised, so I am quite worried about that.

Anyway, will speak to her on Friday....

Nice hat yourself, Sneaks! (up)