Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

1st year lit review

T

My first year lit review is due at the end of Jan... I can factor in 3 solid weeks for it and I've got a guide of about 5000 words. Do people think this is do-able? I've been reading and have a general grasp of the area and what is out there. I usually read and write slowly and labourously (?) over weeks and weeks and weeks. So I just feel a bit like oops, is this gonna work. Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

T

I don't mean the one that is due at the end of the year - this is a sort of preliminary one I guess.

C

If it's a preliminary one, then I'd guess they'd be looking to see that you can structure an argument out of the literature you've read so far and use it to point to your research questions or the gap in the knowledge you're going to address, rather than showing that you've read every paper at this stage. That would be how I'd approach it anyway!

T

Thanks - approaching it with that attitude sounds more manageable. I've also sent my supervisor an outline (just a list of contents/subheadings) so will get their input.