Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

2.2 student want to do PhD

S

Hi
I have some questions and I hope that you can answer:

1) I have just obtained a BSc in pharmacology from a good university in England with a grade just below 60%, in other words a 2.2 (lower second). Is there ANY chance at all that I can be accepted to do a funded PhD research in pharmacology in England or another country?

2) If I REALLY need to do a master's first, then what should I choose between a choice of MSc and a Master's by Research? Or could any of these do?

3) Are there any other routes for me for going for a PhD besides the Masters -> PhD one? i.e. can the masters step be replaced by, say, a year of relevant work experience or by another type of degree?

please remember I am interested in a funded PhD to keep the costs down.
thank you.

K

I suggest you do a taught masters. With many of the funding bodies, experience cannot compensate for a 2.2, but a masters usually can.

M

I agree, a taught masters would be better to begin with.

C

I disagree with the taught masters option!! The most important thing you need to stand out from the crowd is lab experience! I think doing an Mres would be the best option. Doing an Mres will allow you to see if you really like doing research without the 3 year commitment that goes with a PhD. It also will give you experience at techniques you will need when doing a PhD. This will make you more attractive to potential supervisors! I have an Mres and found the skills i learnt really helped me with my PhD. It does have taught module options too but the majority it pure research!

Good Luck.

S

I agree with clowning; an MRes would be far more beneficial as it is focussed solely on research. The taught part of an MSc is basically just an extension of ungrad, attending lectures/seminars and being examined on them, which isn't really useful for a PhD and doesn't prepare you for what lies ahead. So I'd say if you can, definitely do an MRes. Make sure that research is for you (and after a year doing an MRes you'll know this!). In addition, as you get to do a number of different research projects for an MRes in different labs, it enables you to try out different areas, rather than just homing in on one particular area straight away. One of the other major advantages of an mRes is that often Universities have funded MRes positions, encompassing tuition fees and living costs for the year, so if you managed to get one of these studentships, that's a major financial saving!
I did an MSc last year and am now 7 months into my PhD in medicine, and I wish I'd done an MRes instead as I think it would have better prepared me for the struggles!
Good luck in whatever you decide! x