Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

2 good books to read prep PhD. well recommended!

J

really recommend these books. read the first one called 'how to get a phd' 4th edition. the 2005 edition by estelle phillips and derek s. pugh. read it cover to cover and found it so good. clarified so much. im now reading 'the postgraduate research handbook by gina wisker, 2nd edition 2008. finding this very good to read as a follow up from the previous book. just started my phd a few days ago and met one of my sups who recommended me to read 'how to get a phd'. i smiled and said 'ive read it cover to cover' :-)
real brill books. feel its good to read the pugh and phillips book first before the wiskers book. but they are just so good. found they helped to understand what a phd is all about, how to refine ur research area, focus, research questions etc. iv just felt so much clearer after reading the 'how to get a phd' and understanding more now im reading the 2nd book -'the postgraduate research handbook'. just thought id pass this on :-) xxx

D

Hi Jade,

All the best with your PhD. It's always great to read positive and upbeat posts. Thanks for passing on the advice.

(up)

J

thanx. must keep positive. hey! we got to stay up (up). we need to specially in these very grey dreary winter days we having here in england :-( keep myself going now looking at holiday brochures of new zealand i picked up from the travel agents 8-) roll on summer xxx

J

and no.. not gonna be in new zealand in summer... just dreaming. hoping to some day put a deposit down and pay for a holiday for next christmas which will take me all year to pay for. Mmm..... thats if a years enough to pay for it. somehow i think not:-( oh well... i can dream :-x

H

======= Date Modified 04 Jan 2011 13:51:45 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
**content removed - advertising**

D

May I also recommend 'The unwritten rules of Phd research' by petre & rugg which covers some of the grey area / soft skills you need for Phd life