Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Acknowledgments questions

S

When you write the Acknowledgements - do you put people's job titles or adresses in?

S

It depends how significant their contribution has been. For people like sups, or who have stood out then yup job title (no address), for other its a case of "From the University of X: Professors J** H****, A** F*** etc

S

My supervisor has contributed so little I'm mulling over how best to acknowledge him.....

S

How about "To the incompetent fool who nearly wrecked my PhD, and thus career: thanks a bunch"... although that may not win you many friends!:p

S

Don't tempt me ;-)

Z

i got around it by thanking 'my very talented supervisor x', without stating what they are talented in (ie being a bitch)

A

I went through a similar dilemma with my Honours thesis. I just felt that I had done all the work, pretty much on my own, with minimal input from anyone that I didn't really feel like putting in any acknowledgements. Of course, it's expected so I just went through the motions, but I can't say it was especially sincere.

R

I acknowledged my supervisors as Profs, but didn't put their institutional addresses or affiliations. I did a fairly generic mention for a BA course I've worked with, 'the staff and students of xyz dept,' and a even more vague thank you to my Uni for the funding and 'opportunities' I've received which made me feel slightly obsequious, but apparently these things have to be said.

C

======= Date Modified 03 Apr 2009 11:50:25 =======
Am I the only one whose acknowledgements resemble a gushing Oscar acceptance speech, then? Although I did stop short of thanking God...

I haven't submitted yet but have written the acknowledgements in an attempt to spur me on. I suspect I will have to cut them down a bit. If the department had a cat, I'd probably acknowledge it! The (genuine) gushing about my supes is almost vomit-inducing. I didn't use their titles, though, because it didn't seem right as I have never called them anything other than Firstname Lastname and these are quite personal, warm thanks. Am I really breaching some unwritten rule here?

S

Lol, I'm like you! My MA and BA acknowledgements resembled an oscar acceptance speech and made me well up! There were a lot of people who had helped me though and I genuinely did mean it all lol - I think it must be far harder to write when you haven't had that much support!