Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Advice on supervisor's strange behavior

C

So, I don't even know where to start from but I'll summarise the situation.

1) I get into a lab and have to finish a 6-month probation period (in Sweden) before the supervisor decides if I will go forward with PhD

2) I was doing pretty good, BUT, the supervisor was asking to have a word with me way too often in his office, and it was mainly related to how he thinks I am unique, how he believes that I can really go very far with the drive that I have, how happy he is with my in-group scientific discussions etc.

3) At the end of 3 months supervisor tells me he is working hard to get the money for my PhD

4) Around this time I am having printing problems so I go to him with this problem. He snaps at me saying why is this priority etc. so because I feel mistreated and I feel anger building up, I walk away. He calls my name but I don't respond immediately.

5) Suddenly, I am being put on trial everyday in his office, being attacked about my "behavior", blamed of "polarizing" discussions etc. He even asks me to go and see a counselor related to my "high level of motivation"

6) Finally, after 3 days of discussions, he tells me he does not have the "capacity" to supervise my PhD and that I should start looking for other positions. However, he does say he will provide me with an excellent recommendation letter, and he can get me a scholarship for extra few months to give me time

7) I write him an e-mail a few days later to let him know I will take this offer because I do need the time and in the meanwhile I will be as useful as I can in the lab. After my e-mail he panicks and calls a senior researcher to talk to me that he didn't promise this

8) I am confused. I need advise.

T

On an initial reading of this, it sounds as though your supervisor may be having some issues of his own. I would get away as soon as possible and start anew elsewhere. Not because people can't have problems and stuff, but because as the student, you need a supervisor whose role in your PhD is student-focused, not self-focused with personal issues surfacing and affecting your relationship and research (and it will later - believe me). Get him to write you that recommendation letter as soon as possible! Also, keep a record of important communications to email - e.g., a summarising email after meeting stating you said X, I said X, we agreed X -
very courteous and polite but serving as that record so that it cannot be denied later.

Hi Ceylan, this is a very unsettling situation to be in. Are you able to seek advice from university or student representatives as to your official status at the university?

My take on what you have written about your supervisor's advice is that he has promised far more than he can deliver and now his behaviour is:

a way of either covering up and finding fault perhaps so he has an excuse not to provide you with a PhD or funding,
or perhaps believing in his own rhetoric and convincing himself that your actions are the reason he is not able to provide a PhD.

My belief is that you need to seek advice from your university as to what your options are. I think also, that as Tudor has said, if you can get that letter of recommendation and any documentation of what your supervisor has promised that this would be helpful for your case.

Best wishes-I hope you get this resolved soon and can start the Phd properly in 2018.

T

Hi, Ceylan,

It is an unpleasant situation to be in, especially since you had high hopes of starting a PhD with this supervisor. Unfortunately, he does not seem like a good supervisor material so it might be better that you cut your losses early.

I agree with Tudor_Queen - Get that recommendation letter asap. Also, start approaching potential supervisors at your uni or elsewhere. Try talking to the students union or postgrad coodinator to see if there are internal opportunities and funding. Can you find out which research groups receive recent grant funding? Approach those groups. Talk to PhD students around you. Anyone knows if their supervisor is looking for new student? If asked, say you had funding issue at your previous potential phd. Never criticise your sup's behaviour.

Above all, stay positive. It is very hard to do given your circumstance, but you never know which potential supervisor is watching since you are already in the lab and uni.

Wishing you all the best.

C

Thank you so much for your responses. I am grateful!