Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Anglia Ruskins or Uni. of East London ???

R

Hi !!!:-) I am Rojina and I am an overseas student. I have searched for Msc Public Health / MPH in the UK and narrowed it down to Anglia Ruskins and Uni. of East London . Affordable fee was the reason behind choosing these universities . Now I am in dilemma :-( Don't know which one to choose and really don't have much idea . Can anyone studying in either universities fill me in and help me decide ............Thank you :-)

D

Out of these two options I would go for Anglia Ruskin. It is a good uni with quite alot of improvements and re-development but is well established. It is located in Cambridge or Chelmsford, with Cambridge being a fabulous city with many historical attributes. I personally feel that Cambridge is far nicer than London areas and easier to get about in town with less crowding. I studied my PhD in Cambridge and was very happy with the facilities and area. 

That said, I have no experience of the Uni of East London.

S

Agreed with Dunny re: Anglia Ruskin regarding location and it is an ok uni but I'd say it depends on the subject. I only ever been to Uni of East London for an open day and wasn't very keen as my impressions were that they were not very organised at all but it doesn't mean that it's not a good uni either.

If I were you I'd look into the departments, like staff interests etc before you choose.

Good luck!

T

If money is your reason for choosing these two uni's then remember to factor in living costs - London and Cambridge will both have high accommodation costs compared to many other cities with MPH courses. MPH courses can vary quite widely in terms of modules offered and which subjects are compulsory or optional - so make sure the course you choose covers the topics you want. Another important thing to consider is what the set up is for the dissertation stage - do you get to choose your supervisor or are they assigned to you, do you get any choice in the project, how regularly can you expect to have supervision sessions etc.

Hope that's some help. I did a similar course a few years ago (not at either of the unis you mention) and enjoyed it :-)

R

Thanx for the replies :-)......
well for me just to be able to study in the UK is a great achievement in itself .I have always heard good things about Cambridge,of course with the world famous Uni there as well as the city itself . I wouldn't know if its nicer than London but I will take your word for it Dunni73. By the way did you do your PhD from Cambridge University ??

@Skig : Thanx for your honest comment about uel . I have checked the staff , department on the official websites...I don't know how much would that help......anyways thanx alot.

@Tey61 : yes I do realize the cost of living and accommodation in the UK vary from city to city. I am afraid in this my choices are restricted as well , so far I am able to arrange accommodation with my relative living in south London. So this might play a part in deciding as well. Thanx for the suggestion though, I will look into the set up for dissertation stage.

How of a hassle would it be to travel from South London to the Cambridge if I do choose Anglia Ruskins ?? Plz do give suggestions, you have been very helpful so far.....bye....thanx again:-)

P

Rozemana: South London to Cambridge would take you at least 2 hours on train (at the very minimum). This would probably be difficult especially if you need to come in every 4 days. University of East London from South London would take at least an hour. It is also expensive, a train fair would cost you around £30-£40 return.

Can you send me the direct link to both course pages please and I' can advise as to which one I think is better?

Living in Cambridge is also relatively expensive (not as expensive as London though). But for rent you are looking at around £200-£300 for one room (in a shared house). Cambridge in a lovely city to live in - it is a small city with everything available within walking or cycling distance, and multi cultural too.

R

hey phdviva.....i thought i had sent u the links in PM but somehow i can't find them in my sent message folder.....well there are the links of both the Universities....regarding the course as well as staff and the department as well....

Anglia Ruskins:
http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/prospectus/pg/public_health.html
http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/faculties/fhsce/about/departments/primary_and_public_health/public_health.html

UEL :
http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/hab/postgraduate/publichealth-msc.htm
http://www.uel.ac.uk/hab/staff/index.htm

your comment and suggestions are most welcome.....thanx alot......