Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Anyone have experience with apply to the public service in Australia post-PhD?

M

======= Date Modified 16 Apr 2011 09:44:28 =======
Hi,

I'm mainly a lurker on these boards, but I thought I might try posing a question of my own finally.

I'm in Australia. I'm 3.5 years into a PhD in Psychology (i'm way over deadline, but no one seems to care). I used to want to be an academic, but doing this PhD has been a disaster and my desire to continue in a university environment has completely evaporated. I'm reasonably good with stats, but I don't have an area of research I care about or have any real expertise in. I certainly don't have any first author publicaions. I wish I hadn't signed on for this PhD, but I've come this far, so I want to finish. I think I can piece together something passable with the help of my supervisor, but it's hard to get motivated when it feels like there's nothing that I'll be qualified for post-PhD.

I was thinking about perhaps applying to the federal or state (Victorian) public service grad program. Does anyone have anyone know anything about what that might be like? Is it a good place for someone with a PhD in Psychology? I just want to have a full time job for once, be able to make a small difference to the world, make friends, get some proper training, and build my confidence back up.

Any advice would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO appreciated because I'm feeling very lost.

Once upon a time I was a star student. I know that I'm intelligent and could make a contribution with some proper training and encouragement, but it's just a question of where to find that.

The other thing I thought of was market research, but I'm not very corporately minded. I feel like I need to be involved in something aimed at the public good rather than commercial profit.

Thanks guys

*Ahh crap, typo in the title. :$