Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Arrghh, I'm sooo pushed right now!

C

Sorry guys, i am not one to rant but i just have to let it out. I had a meeting with my industrial supervisor this afternoon. He basically told me i wasn't pulling my weight, that i cannot do a PhD by doing just 9-5, that it'll take me 8 years if i did that, which i agreed with but he can't just assume i do not work when i get home. Oh, he also said he does not mind me staying at work all day to get work done.

First of all, he knows i can't do that because after 5.45pm, there's no more transport home unless i take a taxi (which i cannot do everyday!). He's sooo pushy and wants results 24/7 and wants me to combine working in the production department, studying electromagnetic design, doing tests in the lab and producing a simulation for him, all within a week!

OK. I feel a lot better now but could do and welcome your opinions.

S

Your supervisor is being unrealistic. You are the only person who can say if your working to your potential, as only you know if you can work harder.

I don't understand the culture in academia to work so hard that you burn out. A friend told me her PhD supervisor did 5.30-7! Unbelievable! You will only make yourself ill and ruin your future health.

J

I know what you mean...I haven't had it as bad as you, but my industrial partners are in the habit of sending loads of samples and expecting results "yesterday"...they don't seem to get that you have other responsibilites too. Good work takes time!

J

And the attitude of your supervisor is hardly going to help you; most of us don't work well under negative pressure. You're not alone

S

He sounds very unreasonable and you may have to be very firm about limits and boundaries. Can't advise much more as I have the opposite problem - but I have had friends in your position and sometimes they have not been firm, tried to agree to everything and things have spiralled downward out of control. Start as you mean to go on in a way that you can sustain.

C

I know some might saw a PhD is meant to be hard work. I know that and i am not one to shy away from hard work. My supervisor tells me atimes that he is demanding and would will demand quality work, but i think he prides himself in this and gets unreasonable.

J

i haven't read other replies so excuse me if i repeat what may have been said: i would say, go at your own pace. don't let naysayers pressurise you. also make sure you're in control of the phd and not the other way round. you're doing your best and thats all that matters. you cannot do more. only do what is humanly possible. you have to draw a line, or you'll be depressed by people's expectations. a lot of my coleagues have hign blood pressure because of supervisor related stress - do not let people get to you. love yourself enough to protect yourself when you're endangered.

ofcourse, you'll be sad to hear what the sup had to say, its only human. but don't dwell on it. do what you can.

i believe it won't take you eight years or even half of that

C

Thanks guys for all your replies.

I'm a bit mellow this morning. The weather's getting to me.

P

I think it may be a matter of better communication with your industrial supervisor and not just agreeing to his/her demands straight away. I had a few meetings where me or my academic supervisor just turned in to 'yes' people and said everything will be done and it will all be great with out thinking it through. Then I felt too stressed knowing I wasnt going to meet the deadlines. Maybe take a list of what is required of you from the meetings and tell your supervisor you'll come up with a realistic schedule for the work and deadlines breaking all the tasks down so he/she realises how long things take. Although they are your supervisors you're not their skivvy and no-one should feel they have to work stupidly long hours. It will all get done in the end!