Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

B O R E D

O

I am B O R E D!!! I have finished the days work I set out for myself, and have a bit more that I can start on. I don't want to go home, because there is nothing to do there, except hang out with the poltergeists and pretend to not be there. I am going to organize myself for tomorrow's work, but...boredboredboredbored. What can I do? I have limited funds, so going around spending loads of money to entertain myself is not on. I suppose I could check out some of the free touristy and historical things around me.

How do other international students spend their free time? ( or what there is of it?) given budget constraints, etc?

A

Which city/town are you in?

Read a book

H

A VERY large textbook...

O

Actually...I DID read a large textbook last night, as it was all that I had to read in my room....I have looked on line to see what voluntering opportunities there are--something at a dog's home perhaps would suit me, as I left three behind ( living with their grandparents) and I miss being arond animals. I guess I could also see if I could volunteer at some thing going on with the university, they might have programmes with the community to do things...I will ask my supervisor tomorrow during our meeting if he knows of anything.

S

I was an undergrad in London and was fairly central. We spent a lot of time just walking around the West End etc. Stopping occaisionally for a cheap half someone and maybe a bag of chips. Better with a friend though - Miss Friendly would like to explore? A walk down the embankment is nice in the evening and pretty open and in full view of plenty of people.

If you can afford it - I don't mind going to the cinema alone. Get a copy of Time Out and see what's on - it will tell you whcih things are free. There's alsorts of stuff - poetry readings for instance are usually free. Or get the Floodlight catalogue and if you have the energy do a lightweight evening course to get out and meet a few faces.

O

I had a good long read last night about the rule of law in China. zzzzz....zzzzz...actually it did help me fall asleep! My sleeping is off because of jetlag. Maybe part of my problem is that I am used to be under constant time pressures, and with the obvious pressure of work gone, its just a matter of getting used to a different pace and not worrying about cramming every waking hour with something that HAS to be done.

B

They do say ...

"If you're bored than you're boring" (that especially applies if you are living in London ... there's LOADS of things to do/places to visit that don't cost a fortune/are free).

T

There are loads of things to keep u amused in London. Try the British museum, Tate modern among other freebies. If u were reading about the rule of law in China you might find the current exhibition at the British museum of the Chinese terracotta army fascinating (u have to pay for this one though!. It's reasonably priced though.

T

by the way check this out for voluntary work! http://www.clementjames.co.uk/project/iu.htm

C

Yeah I'd like to volunteer at a dog's home. Apparently you can walk dogs for Guide dogs for the Blind as well - the puppies who are in training to become fully fledged guide dogs.

You found any good dog vountary work Olivia?

B

Contact Battersea Dogs and Cats Home:

http://www.dogshome.org/rescue/working_with_us/

C

It depends on where you are located. There's no excuse to be bored in london. Where i live is another story

H

I live in a pokey town in the South East where death is the only activity to relieve the tedium. If I didn't work in London, I'd go nuts

E

Not being funny olivia, but you've just moved to a new country, and you're doing a PhD--how in the world can you possibly be bored?!

C

My thoughts exactly Everything to you, Olivia would seem new and fresh. I moved from London to the South and it is hard!! but i am slowly getting used to the idea that it is going to be like this for a while.