Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Biology Phd question

M

Hi,

Im in my second to last year of uni, studying biology and am having trouble deciding what sort of Phd I want. Basically the area I am most interested in is genetics, but I dont really want a career where I spend all the time in a lab. I'm not particularly interested in ecology, but really like the idea of travelling and doing work outside, in interesting places. For example, I've looking at marine biology phds and the field work seems amazing, while I find the actually science rather boring.

So my question is this: does anyone know of any acedemic career directions in biology which are genetics based, with little ecology, yet involve spending time performing research in a non lab environement?

Thanks for any help :)

B

Hi there. Now, no offense or anything, but you don't sound like you'd be doing a PhD for the right reasons. Yeah, you might get to occasionally travel to interesting places during your PhD, but believe me, most of it wont be that "exciting". I actually had a little laugh out loud when you said its the "actual" science you find boring. Well, you wouldn't last half an hour! PhD's a bloody hard work. And most of the time its only your interest for and love in your topic that will keep you going lose that (or worse, never have it) then you wont be going anywhere fast. Seriously, just read the posts on this forum. Do we look like we're all having a great time, constantly?!!!!

Why do you want to do a PhD? You want to travel and you don't want to do much science. Why don't you apply for jobs in industry that allow you to do this?
B.x

T

74.2% of a PhD involves monkey work, not actual science. Which is even worse.

H

In fact most 'interesting' jobs aren't interesting all the time. Even film stars spend a fair amount of time sitting around at awful hours, waiting for takes. It ain't all red carpets and Oscars.

I really wouldn't think about starting a PhD until you have a clearer idea of what makes you tick on a day to day basis. Perhaps get some Research assistant work first, if you think research might be your bag. If not, have you considered genetic counselling? Genetic epidemiology? Or contact the Genetics Society (http://www.genetics.org.uk/) for careers ideas. But do have a think about what it is that motivates you. And do get some tangible experience before you commit yourself.

M

Thanks for the replies.

It seems I may not have explained my feeling about this very well... I do realise that a PhD is obviously very difficult and that there is no point doing one unless you are really interested in science. I never said I wasn't, just that I don't find ecology, in particular, very interesting. I really do enjoy biology; I spent my second year summer break working full time in a lab and am currently doing a year in industry placement which has also been brilliant. My point was that I have found something I find very interesting, i.e. genetics, and was wondering if anyone new of any ways to incorporate travelling in to such a career, something which seem to be much more common with ecology based work. I am also aware that I am probably clutching at straws here, but thought it was worthwhile asking anyway.

H

Ahh that makes a lot more sense.

How about population genetics or genetic anthropology?

Essentially, if you do genetics, you will spend a fair amount of time engaged in PCR/SNP analysis/Microarray work etc. But you might get a bit of a chance to get into the field with the areas above, particularly genetic anthropology.

V

You can't do a PhD without spending time in the lab. Forget about the option, a PhD is not for you!

V

As for travelling while doing genetics....that would not be a PhD. The only thing I can think of is selling pharmacological/lab products.

S

This may not address your question specifically, but the institute of biology (IOB) website has a pretty good careers section, try http://www.iob.org/general.asp?section=education_careers/education_iob/careers Click the links on the left, there's plenty there. When i was a biology undergrad, i recall attending a biosciences careers conference organised by the BioSciences Federation (BSF). It was full of info on different careers in biology, and plenty of knowledgable people to answer questions.

M

Verypoor, I'm pretty sure a PhD is for me. I do enjoy lab work, and realise its a necessity, but was looking for options which involve some time spent out of the lab too. Thanks a lot for the link Sim, I'll have a look at soon

S

Mojo - I started out in molecular genetics - even started a PhD - but found that I really didn't like lab work. My current field is still based in genetics - but it's behavioural/psychological with no lab work. people keep eagerly suggesting relevant lab work but either someone else can do that or it will be subcontracted.

I've also lived overseas a lot and would love to have done field work as part of my current research but I now have a young child so that's out for now anywhere. Have you looked into disease and epidemiology? There's a lot of development work in that area which involves field work in developing countries. The field work is pretty tough - it's no holiday - but you could look into it. It would appeal to me if I was more mobile.

S

Another otion is doing some kind of computer/math modelling related to genetics.

S

Actually, as time went by, I found a lot of 'the actual science' rather boring and I now work in the twilight zone between the humanities and science. The broader field works better for me rather than focussing all my efforts on a pinhead.

S

You are very right to consider how you wnt to spend your working time - what tasks and which envirments do you most enjoy and most suit you. I basically swapped lab work for maths - and the maths gets every bit as mundane and repetitive as the lab work but for some reason I like it a lot more (and I'm certainly better at it). I really, really miss doing field work though. I don't think there's anything unrealistic about factoring outdoor work and/or travel into your plans, especially if you can get into fields like ecology/human ecology etc.