Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Can i talk to my internal examiner before the Viva?

S

I have just found out who my internal examiner is likely to be. I have known him for a while and get on well with him generally but I have no idea what the 'rules' are about talking to your internal about your actual PhD. Will I meet with him before the viva? Is it ok to ask him questions about the viva or is that not allowed?

Any help appreciated :)

D

My uni regs didn't allow student contact with the examiners prior to the viva, this I can appreciate is difficult when you all know each other and work in the institution. Once the examiners are actually appointed for your viva, I would refrain from discussing your PhD with them or the viva itself, just in case this compromises your examination. If they wish to discuss your PhD prior to the viva (knowing that they are examining your thesis), then you could light-heartedly ask if this is conversation is allowed! Last thing you need is another examiner having to be appointed which may delay your viva.

Otherwise, take comfort in the knowledge that your opinions of the potential internal examiner are positive ones so hopefully a nice viva will follow (up)