Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

career limiting moves...

L

Hello, has anyone ever witnessed or done a career limiting move?
How did they or you try and recover?

R

hey lynn. your question is just a little bit vague. potentially every decision one makes can have career consequences by either closing or opening career doors....

D

hi

I have been told that I need to think very carefully about which institutions I work in. There is an awful lot of snobbery and I must admit that doing my undergrad work in a post 1992 uni has had its consequences. I find this very sad indeed.

E

I was talking to a guy yesterday who finished his PhD three years ago and has still not landed an academic post of any kind. He told me that this is a bad time to start a PhD with all the intense changes that are happening in academia. I realise that everyone's journeys are different, and that I shouldn't let what I hear affect my own path, but I walked away from that conversation feeling deflated. I'm wondering if the PhD is a career limiting move! The thing is, I'm not that bothered about career, but then again, I dread the thought of finishing the PhD and finding that it has no relevance anywhere.

D

the PhD has relevance if you want to teach in HE. No jobs tho because there are too many PhD's! May be different in other disciplines however, I am social science.