Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Chance of success in AHRC/ESRC Competition Awards

E

Does anyone know if there is a considerable difference in terms of the chances of success in applying for ESRC competition award or AHRC doctoral award scheme competition? (i am eligible for either)
I have a choice to make on whether to be nominated for AHRC at one institution or for ESRC at another.

How far should the prestige of an institution affect a decision of where to study?

Thanks in advance

C

I think it is something in the 20% region for the AHRC. The exact figues will be on their website. But it shifts between 20% and 22% (ish) over the past few years.

E

Thanks. I will have a look for stats. ESRC is +3 award if that makes any difference. Any other thoughts?

B

hi eh. I don't know about the ESRC, but I know that the AHRC is notoriously competitive, and every year, they bump up the criteria even further. I've applied for AHRC funding for both my MA and PhD and was rejected both times, and that was with top marks all round and fierce research proposals.

S

My experience from my dept is that you really need a good first and a project that falls into their priority areas to get AHRC funding - no expereince with ESRC.

A

@ bellaz: I'm so referring to my research proposals as "fierce" from now on - excellent adjective choice!