Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Citing secondary sources in conference abstract

======= Date Modified 23 22 2010 16:22:32 =======
Hi All,

I've gotten myself into a bit of a muddle. An abstract that I have written has been approved by my supervisor but as I was checking over it I noticed a mistake. I referenced the author whose article I read stating

"It has been found that x, y and z occur due to a,b and c, (Browne, 2007)" not realising that Browne had actually cited Black 2005 & White 2006.

I can't get access to the articles by Black & White on my uni's subscription and I can't find any other articles that contain the information that I need. So what I'm wondering is, is it acceptable to cite them as

Black, 2005 & White, 2006 as cited in Browne, 2007

Does this look really lazy? And do you think it needs to be resubmitted to my supervisors again for approval?

I am panicking quite a bit now so any input would be much appreciated!

(ps. In know it seems odd that there references in an abstract but that's the format set by the conference organisers)

pm me with the references for black and whiteand I will see if I have access

Thanks Sneaks - I just pm'd you!

Sorry, I couldnt get them - maybe try Walminski?

If its an obscure thing, then I wouldn't bother resubmitting - will anyone really notice? I think you can get away with it, because browne talks about it, then cites black and white, so technically he did say it!

R

But you can get "Browne's" paper right? Why not just look at how they referenced "Black & White" and even if the full information isn't there you can search online for the full ref. (up)

Hi R_U_4_REAL_NICK. Yes I have Browns paper and I have searched online for Black and Whites' papers but I can't get access to them as my uni doesn't have the required subscriptions.

R

Quote From Ev:

Hi R_U_4_REAL_NICK. Yes I have Browns paper and I have searched online for Black and Whites' papers but I can't get access to them as my uni doesn't have the required subscriptions.

Oh sorry... my bad! I didn't read your post carefully enough and though it was just the full reference you were after. Getting the actual papers is a real pain if your uni. subscription doesn't cover it - I went through this a lot during my PhD. You could ask your library (if you haven't already) and see if they have a work-around, or like the other post says just see if anyone else from another uni. can get it and then send it over to you. (I would try for you but unfortunately I've left my uni. now and aint registered with them anymore :-()

T

If you can't get to the original, then you should cite them as "cited in Browne", like you say. You've obviously tried to get the Black & White, but can't, so it's not lazy. And as far as submitting it again to supervisors is concerned, I'd probably email one of them first to see if they need to see it again. You're not changing the substance of the abstract, so I doubt it.

Don't panic, I think you're fine!

J

PM me - I have access to several univeristy libraries (work in one, studying in another) or try inter library loans from your uni library - depending on how generous your uni are you will pay a small amount (or as at my PhD uni they let you get them for free) You shoudl definitely get the actual article for your thesis or for journal submissions.