Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Communication Problems with Supervisor

G

When I started my Phd I had a clear view of what I wanted to do. A few months later my supervisor changed the topic to a large extent. I am more confused now and I have no idea where my research is going and what I should do next. Everytime we meet she doesnt give me important feedback and she doesnt seem to know why she has asked me to change the direction of research. Are there any chances that she knows and she wont tell me until I find it myself???????

G

I was in a similar situation in my Masters. My supervisor failed to explain the purpose and significance of the project. He just wanted me to write and produce a thesis.
As a result, my thesis was not of great quality.

G

I am having similar problems but my supervisor has since said it will be like that for my first year til he knows whats what with my work and then we can decide on a definite focus. It is annoying tho cos i signed up for a specific project and now that is a bit up in the air.

G

I sympathise with you. I am in a similar predicament; two years down the line I have no idea what the heck I am doing. I just do as I am told. My advice to you: don't fret, you are not alone, I suppose it happens to all of us at some stage.

G

This is not unusual, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem. Tell your supervisor you are unhappy and confused. Tell her that you need to have some degree of control of your own PhD and you need to both agree on a plan of work. (Ideally work out want you want to do first and argue strongly for that.) If you can't come to an agreement and feel your supervisor is to blame, go and see the student advisor or head of department and express your concerns - it is possible to change to a different supervisor.