Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Conference Funding

P

Hi!

I'm hoping to go to an international conference next year - and am a self-funded phd (FT) student. I'm just wondering where ppl have applied for funding to attend/present at conferences? I have already approached my uni, and psyPAG (my PhD is in psychology). But this wouldn't be enough to enable me to go.

Any suggestions of where else I could look?

Thanks!

Paige

W

I am a self funded PhD as well. I was able to secure some money from the school for the conference. They have a policy here that if you are presenting, they have 'extra' money set aside to help you get to the conference. I had to go and ask the head of the research student whatever their official title is and fill out a form to let them know expected costs. You could try something like that, just asking on the school or dept. level.

P

Hi WanderingSage,

I know they offer discounted rates for students or presenters. Do you mean that you got a discounted rate, or did you additional funding as well by approaching the head of research? I definitely give it a try!

:)

L

Hi Paige,

As a self-funded student it is very difficult to get funding for conferences. Usually conferences give out a few travel bursaries for student, does yours? Or maybe a fee-waiver?

Otherwise, your own uni is generally the only option. I'm self-funded (but I'm in humanities) and have been looking for conference funding over the past 3 years now. No luck (yet). I've been funded by my department in the past, but they can generally only contribute a little bit (but every little helps, right?). Best source of funding has been extra temp jobs/additional marking/freelance assignments.

I've tried several institutions (in the UK mainly), but very few support postgrads's conference trips. Maybe you could try big funding bodies in your research field?

So, sorry, not much help here....

Livvie

W

Hi Paige,

I got the financing from my university, not the hosting university/organization. My uni (I feel odd saying it's mine) doesn't advertise that they have money set aside for discretionary spending, but if you ask, they might have some budget left over. It is earmarked for that purpose too, just they would rather have it kicking about for shifting to other 'better' things I think, if it doesn't get used up. It is a bit of a crap shoot if you are at the end of the fiscal year, but if they have turned the books over, the coffers are full again and a better shot. The only trick here is that you have to be presenting, not just attending. Hope they have a similar for you at your university.
Also, a friend of mine mentioned this morning that she was attending for free because she was volunteering at the conference.

Good luck in finding the money.