Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Conference Paper

K

======= Date Modified 29 14 2010 22:14:10 =======
I start my PhD on Monday so I am going to be new to it all. However, I have already had an email about a postgrad conference calling for papers. I am seriously tempted to put a paper in, but I wanted to ask everyone if it is common to co-author a conference paper? I am sharing an office with a guy who is the same age as me and who is doing a topic which has some fair elements of overlap with mine. Should I approach him with an idea, or are conference papers always written by one person only?

J

Conference papers can be written by multiple authors - you don't usually get both authors presenting though. Have a look at the guidance for presenters to see what it says (if anything) about multiple authored papers - usually it is just somethign along the lines of "at least one author must present"

Don't worry about it being very early in your research to be presenting at a conference - I submitted an abstract three weeks after I registered and presented it at an international conference onlyfourmonths after I started my part time PhD. The networking opportunities offered by the conference were invaluable in shaping my thinking.

Go for it (either with the other person or alone)

K

Thanks for the advice. We are both new to the scene but I want to strike a good relationship with him from the very start. I guess the whole presenting thing will have to be kept in mind, but it doesn't say anything about that yet as this is a while off. I don't have a clue what we could write yet.