Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

conference presentation - help!

W

Hi all,

ARGH! Just found out today that my abstract has been selected for a talk at a big conference in a few months and I'm petrified! I'm only 8 months into my PhD so this seems a big deal! Obviously I'm pleased my work is deemed interesting enough for presentation but still......argh!!!! Scary! Any advice folks?

S

Hey congratulations! Getting talks isn't easy, so you've done brilliantly already to get a talk :o) Don't panic - it's a GREAT way of getting feedback and getting people to know your face. The most important is to make sure you stick to time. So find out how much time you've got, and practice the talk on people before you go to make sure it's not too long. Try to keep it simple (set it to the lowest level that will be at the conference) - don't assume knowledge (within reason!). Generally when I do a talk, I write down everything I want to say (being a scientist I divide it into Aim-methods-results-discussion-conclusion), and then put together the talk, practice it & chop all the 'waffle' bits that don't contribute to the story and that cut it down to time. Make it a nice story - introduce what the aim of the talk is, and then make sure you wrap it up at the end according to how you introduced it.

S

...Don't put in too many animations (if using powerpoint), stay clear of sounds or video if you can (it always goes wrong). If you do need to use sound or video - practice it on the conference computer in the breaks, and be prepared to bluff it if it doesn't work (I saw one guy mime, and another hum when it didn't work - they got big applause). But for me the key advice is to practice it on colleagues first - it instills the confidence you need to get up there & present. Good luck!

D

Congratulations!!! I am just waiting to hear if I have been accepted to present at a conference...I swing between wanting to do it and not wanting to do it. I also worry about the amount of time it will take from my thesis..I am waiting for my transfer viva and if it goes badly I will need all the time I can get to sort that out! Also have fear of flying and I shall have to fly (or have a tedious coach trip)......let me know how it goes for you!!!

H

totally agree with seabird. Its great! I am doing a PhD in Business and follow the same sort of 'rules' intro, purpose of my study, method, findings, conclusion. I alos state in international conferences I visit how long I have been going and usually get great response. Most academics understadn that you are a student and that you are learing and I have make terrific freinds on conferences. Ask for POSITIVE feedback and keep your presentation to the point and simple..no music or too many visuals