Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Confused whether to do an MSc or go straight for a PhD

L

I'm currently studying neuroscience and psychology (undergraduate), and i want to do neuroscience PhD (for definite). But the thing is, is it worth it for me to do an MSc in neuroscience as well? I'm not to sure what i want to work as when i finished, i have multiple options that i like, such as a lecturer, research or a neuropathology.

D

In my experience and from reading many posts on here it is the norm to do an MSc before a PhD. You can go straight from undergrad to PhD but it's not the norm and can be more difficult to get funding for a PhD. Also many seem to think this is a massive jump in terms of academic ability and an MSc bridges this.

K

Hey there! I've just completed my PhD in clinical psychology, but have friends across all different areas of psychology as well (and in different universities). Most psychology departments will expect a masters for entry onto a PhD- in our department, it is a formal requirement, even if you have a first class undergraduate degree. This is not true of all PhD subjects- straight sciences, for example, do not usually require a masters. But psychology PhDs are extremely competitive, so even if it wasn't a formal requirement, it's unlikely you would win funding for a PhD without one (unless you had a lot of previous experience). Of course, there may be exceptions to this rule, so if you have a specific university in mind, contact them and check! Also, a masters is a good way of getting a foot in the door at a particular department, and receiving support for an application for PhD funding, so if you can afford to do one financially then it's probably a good investment. Best, KB

L

Thank you, it has helped quite a bit in my decision, definitely going to do a MSc first. Thank you to both of you.

E

Research Experience! It's essential whether you do a masters or go straight from Bsc-PhD. One question: Can you afford a masters degree course?

I personally have opted not to do a MSc, I have an EU funded MSc just in case I didn't get a PhD, but luckily as I had a bit of research experience I got offered a fully funded PhD.

Can you talk to your undergraduate project supervisor or personal tutor?

L

Quote From elmo310:

Research Experience! It's essential whether you do a masters or go straight from Bsc-PhD. One question: Can you afford a masters degree course?

I personally have opted not to do a MSc, I have an EU funded MSc just in case I didn't get a PhD, but luckily as I had a bit of research experience I got offered a fully funded PhD.

Can you talk to your undergraduate project supervisor or personal tutor?

I havent got any experience yet, but i will have a bit in summer next year when i next finish the year. I cant personally afford a masters, ill be getting a loan for it, or beg my parents.

Yes i can talk to them, should i just ask the same thing to them?

E

Quote From laurajane1991:

I havent got any experience yet, but i will have a bit in summer next year when i next finish the year. I cant personally afford a masters, ill be getting a loan for it, or beg my parents.

Yes i can talk to them, should i just ask the same thing to them?

Keele University offer an EU funded MSc in the life sciences- basically you need to find tuition fees and accomodation for 3 months then the EU pay for the rest of it as you spend the remaining 9 months somewhere in Europe!

You could ask your Supervisor about what they look for in a PhD student...

L

That would be great, I'm at Keele as well. I will ask my tutor about that when I start back again. Thank you

E

Quote From Laurajane1991:

That would be great, I'm at Keele as well. I will ask my tutor about that when I start back again. Thank you

I have just graduated from Keele! I got offered that EU course with £1000 off tuition fees and another £1000 off but I can't remember why! I would ask your supervisor or personal tutor as I found the careers service to be useless when I asked for help with a PhD application. I found my project supervisor was the best person to ask!

Keep a look out for the in-school careers events- Who is your supervisor?

It is still possible to do a PhD without having first done a masters, particularly if you want to study science. If finance is an issue then going straight to a PhD could be a good route. THere's nothing to stop you applying for PhDs whilst also trying to secure a place on a masters course as a back-up. YOu can search for Masters courses in neuroscience on FindAMasters. Have a look on FindAPhD for PhDs in neuroscience.

You may also want to consider a 4 year PhD programme. These are becoming much more common these days and include a large taught element in the first year which is equivalent to a masters qualification.