Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Confused

R

Hi everyone,
Just some concerns that I have had..
1. I am 10 months into my Phd so am a 1st year still. I have a tough advisor and my supervisor is okay.
I have only done western blots showing protein interactions so far. My viva is in less than 1.5 months and my continuation report is due in 2 weeks!!! I asked my supervisor if the number of results that I am showing in my report is sufficient, because I will be quizzed in my viva about the lack of experiments. He shrugged it off.. So here I am week after week repeating nonsense.
2. My background knowledge isn't great and I am in fear of failing my viva. This means I will have to leave before my 2nd year. It is shameful you know!
3. All 1st year students are expected to know their project inside out. My problem is my supervisor will not communicate. I have asked him several times about things and he won't give me a straight answer. He's so reserved - I'm intimidated by him.
Plus I have to give a talk about my research in 2 weeks in front of a considerable scientific audience. I am scared and depressed.
I sometimes feel that this isn't the right career choice for me. I don't want to quit. I am so scared of failing the viva. Any tips/advice/help?
Thanks!!

PS: Sorry for the long post.

H

Golden rule - don't panic! Nervousness at the upgrade is natural and whatever you do will feel like you haven't done enough. What you have to prove to the panel is your project has some substance and you have a clear understanding of your aims and objectives.
So first up, know why you're doing these Western blots and what they show. Second, how do they fit into the scope of your work and where is the project going. This puts your work into perspective.
Background knowledge is a toughie - only thing for it is to read widely; your lit review for the report will help here. This will also help in the understanding of the greater scope of your work. Again, don't panic about it! If you knew your project inside and out, you'd already have the PhD..
Supervisor approachability is difficult for PhDers - what is the context of the relationship: professional or teacher:student? Depends on you and them. My advice would be to approach him/her with carefully crafted ideas and directions for your work - show them you are capable of independent thought and are actively taking control of your work. You'll figure it out as you go along. I would say, and this is a particular bugbear of mine (not aimed at you personally), that your super is not there to provide you all the answers. You are not a "student" in the traditional sense any longer (being spoonfed), but a paid professional and should be finding the majority of your own answers. That is the difference between a student and researcher.
So finally, don't panic - plan your prioritised itinerary. This will help you get things into a working order and give you some cohesion.
Best of luck
H