Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Desperately need advice about changing PhD

P

I did a Masters with my current supervisor which was good, the topic interested me and so when he applied for funding to continue the project, I accepted an offer to do a 4yr PhD with him.

However, I'm finding things very different now... First of all he has changed the project, so I'm not doing the same thing as I did for my MSc. Secondly, we never have any funding, I'm always having to scrounge things from other people, and it's frustrating. Thirdly, my supervisor has a way of making me feel so guilty if things don't work that I can't sleep at night!! But I just don't have the motivation do this anymore and 3 and a half more years of this will really depress me!!

Now this is the predicament... If I apply to other places, he will have to be my ref. So he will know I am looking elsewhere. Also, if I don't get another place somewhere else, I don't want to burn my bridges. I'm also really unhappy with the place I live in general anyway so I'm desperate to move. I didn't get very good grades at undergrad or A Levels so I'm also wondering if this will affect it?? I've only just been diagnosed as dyslexic so I'm sure this had something to do with the low grades.

Lastly, will this affect future funding for me, or funding my current department? And does it look really bad for prospective project supervisors that I am already enrolled onto a course?

Thanks for the help guys!! :-(

M

Hey,

I cannot answer many of your questions but what I would suggest is to have an honest discussion with your supervisor. Share with him all your concerns. Tell him that you appreciate his offer and funding etc. but that the project you are meant to work on is not what it was supposed to be. Explain that it might effect your work and general well being, as it already does. See what he says and what can be done from his point of view.

If he won't show any understanding and will want to keep things the way they are you then can start looking for another supervisor. Contact those you think would be interesting in your research. If they show an interest then you just be honest with them. It is important that you do not speak badly about your current supervisor, that you let them understand that you are undermining his position, instead explain exactly what the problem is and mention that you have had a conversation with him which was fruitless and therefore lead you to seek other solutions.

First of all calm down and approach the situation one step at the time.

Good luck!

M