Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Dyslexia and a PhD?

G

Hi Everyone - sorry to re-post but I have had no replies and I really would like some advice and views - Does anyone have experience of applying to do a PhD and being dyslexic?

Any views or experiences would be appreciated – from both students and the ‘Find a PhD team’ - also see my last post 'Dyslexia and a PhD?'.

Thank you everyone! x

G

In the UK dyslexia is classed as a disability and is covered by the disablity discrimination act, I think. U MUST not be discriminated against and MUST be given the support u need. In practise U need to find a compassionate insitution or fight for ur rights!!! Check out the learning support services at your insitute to see what they have to offer.

Sorry for not replying earlier - we've been busy - Usualy we do not quote hearsay in this forum. However, one of the FindAPhD team did once work in a lab with a dyslexic PhD student, who now runs their own lab in a 5* rated department. We have writen to them to ask for any comments and hope to give a clearer answer soon. Dyslexia certainly shouldn't be a hinderance to a career in scientific research. Please write to info@findaphd.com with your email address and we'll see if we can put you touch with the right people.

G

Thank you both for your help and I will e-mail the address given.