Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Finish MSc or include dissertation study PHd?

D

======= Date Modified 15 Apr 2011 09:05:45 =======
I have a dilemma but not a bad one - bare with me...

I have been doing clinic based research for a number of years on a similar topic with some publications. I undertook a part time research MSc the dissertation of which developed my earlier work looking at change in psychological variables reported by patient after a single visit to a doctor.

My supervisor left and I was appointed another who became very involved with my work.
With his encouragement after submitting my dissertation I started a part time PhD 18 months ago at a different Uni (original institution did not have suitable supervision available).

Whilst waiting for the PhD to start, I followed up the patients in the MSc dissertation study and an additional cohort through care demonstrating that the change in their psychological variables was linked to recovery. This led to a publication in a reputable journal and essentially this paper has become the ‘pump primer’ for my PhD.

The PhD appears to be going well using a larger qualitative study to confirm the results of the preliminary one and to check for confounding variables just about to start. A qualitative study is under development to see why there was the improvement in the psychological variables in some patients.

My dilemma is this: My MSc dissertation has not been marked 18 months on - I have a chain of emails with various reasons from the newer supervisor but all week. I know I could bang the table and it would be sorted. He is listed as third author on the post MSc paper and I can not believe there will be a problem with at least a pass (had distinction at all other modules so hoping for better than pass).

But do I need the MSc? it was not a condition of my PhD. If I opt not to finish this then I can use the results of the study mentioned above directly in my PHd which will make the Thesis a much more self contained document.

If I don’t complete the MSc and then for some unforeseen reason have to drop out of the PhD my CV will look a right mess of non completion. The planned studies should in my PhD supervisors opinion make a credible thesis anyway. Also my MSc supervisor is a nice chap who I sit on various committees with and I don’t want to spoil our relationship/get him into trouble by becoming overly ‘heavy’ about the MSc dissertation - although as a self funded student I know I have every right to.