Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Getting a second PhD

G

I've completed a PhD in computer engineering with a University in South Africa and I'd like to pursue a EngD (e.g. communications engineering doctorate) with univerities in the UK. I've read on the MIT dept. of electrical engineering website that they do not accept students wanting a second PhD (even if you first PhD was in a field other than physical sciences). Is it permissible to pursue a second PhD in the UK?

G

use your bachelor degree to apply ph.d. here, dont tell them you had already gotten a ph.d. degree.

G

It will be difficult (as well as dishonest and therefore unfair to other applicants) to cover up the fact that you already have a PhD. Supervisors probably try to steer clear of people who appear to them to be the professional student types. If you're not one of these, it might be an idea to submit along with any applications a statement giving the reasons why you are pursuing a PhD having already got one.

If you already have a PhD and want to do more research you should be looking for a job as a research engineer, either in industry or academia. It will be possible to change your specialty during your career. Doing a PhD gives you expert knowledge in a certain field and a peice of paper to prove you are capable of such high level research. You do not need to prove that again and any research job will slowly turn you you into an expert in whatever field it relates to.

B

Hi, I came across a friend of mine who is debating about it, he is also slightly deviating from his first PhD research, but its within geosciences..the second offered is more practical..Any issue to enrol for the second PhD in Canada?