Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Getting started

G

Hello. I've finished my BSc in biotechnology with a 1st (woo). I'm trying to apply for PhDs. I have noticed that many invite informal inquiries, whats the best way to go about this? Ask the tonne of questions I have? Introduce myself and say how wonderful I am? send them a CV? Could someone also sum up for me the natures of funding? does a "funded" PhD mean they give you something to live on or just pay for lab materials etc.

Cheers

Cheesy Bob

Most funded projects on this site cover course fees, lab fees and tax free living expenses (usually between £8500 and £13500 pa depending on the funding body and any industrial involvement). With a first you'll have a good chance of getting the PhD you want - look out for CASE or CAST studentships, which have increased living expenses paid for by an industrial partner.

When your asked for informal enquiries don't ask too many questions - you might scare people off, and you can always follow up on any reply you get. State why you are interested in their research, sometimes academics don't list what projects they have just a general research area - clarify what opportunities are available. If something is unclear from their ad you could ask them to clarify it.

Don't forget to mention you have a first in biotechnology and where it's from.

See our Funding and PhDs Explained sections for links and information.

G

Thankyou

xx