Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

GRE for PhD

S

Hi Everyone,

I am Sam from Pakistan, completed my MBA last year and now planning of pursuing PhD from abroad ( preference is UK). I am thinking of taking TOEFL and GRE to strengthen my application process as I don't have any publication and research background.

I want to ask that how much GRE would help me getting accepted for Phd in UK ? and how much score should I obtain for this purpose ?

Waiting for some valuable suggestions.

Thanks

T

We don't use GRE in the UK, so this won't help you. You needs IELTS:https://www.ielts.org/

Scores required depend on uni.

If you're self/government funded you will easily get on a PhD.

S

I cant afford Phd expenses by my own and so far government is concerned, I don't know how to look into UK government scholarships for Pakistani students.
About Pakistani government scholarships, they are mostly bounded where students have to return to their home country after Phd.

What about university own scholarships?

N

Each university has different scholarships, which are highly competitive. My advice is to narrow your university choices and look at the department's webpage (funding tabs are usually within the PhD program information). Potential supervisors also can tell you about the history of funding the in department (for example, the two I ended up applying to told me there was only one intl. funded position out of 20 applicants, but no guarantees for funding next year!) So vary your uni. choices. If you go for a uni. with less competition, you'll get more of a chance for funding, obv.

I do think the US has more funding options than the UK, but PhD program there is typically longer and there's more teaching work. You can also look at programs in Canada. If you have the time, it would not hurt to take the GRE so you can apply to a varied group of unis.

T

Honestly, as a non-EU international student, getting UK funding is going to be extremely difficult. At least in Science.

The only non-EU international students I know are funded by their employer, their government or their family.