Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Help for writing a proposal

A

Hello,
This is my first topic in this forum. I'm trying to write a poropsal for my PhD application. My topic is about applying a project- broadband internet in one of the developed countries into developing. The main issue i'm facing is what do I have to write in the methodology part? Will this be qualitative or quantitative research? What is the methodology will be in each side( developed and developing countries?)
Thanks and sorry if there is any mistakes coz i'm using my mobile

P

what u gotta include in the methodology part depends mostly on what u intend to gain from ur research.

what's the goal of ur research, specifically?

we have two types of country - developed (De) and developing (Di)

now.. if u intend to measure the impact of project broadband internet (pbi) on both of them from say aspect(x), then u should employ quantitative work. the methodology should include :

1. design - how do u intend to conduct the research? what's the hypothesis?
2. sample - who do u intend to measure for De and Dd? how many samples?
3. procedure - how is the data collection done? when should u collect data? which data? why?
4. analysis - how do u intend to analyze the data? anova? structured equation modeling?

on the other hand, if u're more interested of knowing the perception of the users in De and Di towards pbi or how they use pbi to accomplish something, then qualitative work is more appropriate. subsequently, u can perform a comparative analysis on both of them.

there are many ways to conduct qualitative work. grounded theory and action research are quite popular now. u can interview a set of samples (people) from both De and Di to get their view on the matter at hand, code it and then interpret the result.

normally, the methodology for both sides should be the same. that is, i'm assuming that u need to compare ur findings on De and Di.

so again, everything depends on ur goal. what *exactly* do u intend to achieve with ur research?

V

Looking at your research topic, I would think that you want to use a quantitative approach. Bear in mind that you must have a pretty good idea of your research methodology, and in the proposal phase you need to be ready to explain why you choose it. In short, a good proposal should cover the followings:

Introduction
Aim(s)
Main Research Question(s)
Research Approach
Ethical Consideration
Data Collection Techniques
Research feasibility
Research report/Product
Reference

Good luck!

Thank you for both these postings pikirkool and vadro. These should be presented to all proposal writers day 1. I will certainly be passing this on. :-)