Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Help with PhD -

W

Hi ther....can anyone help? I am really struggling with my PhD! Does anyone know anyone who is doing a PhD working with offshore & metocean data? I am struggling to find useful sources of data and feel like I have hit a wall. Quite honestly i am beginning to think this PhD is beyond me!! Thanks.

S

Hi Wombles,

I'm sorry you're struggling with your PhD at the moment. I'm afraid mine is on a completely different area so I can't help you directly... but when I was struggling with a particular aspect I started contacting people in the fielf asking for help. I received mixed responses, some polites 'Sorry I can't help you' but others helped me or gave me names of others who they thought could help me. I'm not sure if this is an option at all for you...

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

A

Hi Wombles

I would tend to agree with Skig and also say that really specific questions don't always get specific answers here on the forum. Is there nobody within your wider reserach area that you could contact, if only for pointers on how to access information? What about industry organisations or industry clusters in your area? Might there be a Facebook group or a LinkedIn group in your area that you could contact for help and tap into? Reach out for help where you're at; you might be surprised. At the very least does your supervisor know of your difficultities?

I hope you get sorted soon

W

Hi again, thanks you are right, I should contact people. Unfortunately my PhD is being done in a very tiny, isolated outpost wit limited resources, hence the lack of immediate expertise. I am sitting sdown with my supervisor tomorrow but I think he has higher expectations of my output at this stage than is the reality! I ned to start contacting people but feel as though I don't even know what questions to ask or that I may sound a bit"thick" even - all barriers that i am putting up I guess. thanks again.