Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

How do you export a citation from Pubmed into Endnote?

A

Hi,

I cannot figure out how to export a citation from Pubmed into Endnote. I think my brain is a little slow this Monday morning.

Cheers,
A.:-)

J

I exported a few from pubmed over the weekend, I couldn't export direct from pubmed so I clicked on the linkout button and opened it up in Springerlink and then exported from there.
It worked fine for me, you could try that.8-)

C

======= Date Modified 30 Aug 2010 17:28:44 =======
Sorry not a user of Pubmed so can't help there... but users of Endnote may find it useful to know that you can use Google scholar to import references. On the Google scholar home page, look for the link to 'Scholar Preferences' next to the search box. Follow the link and on the next page scroll down to the bottom of the page and turn on the settings under 'Bibliography Manager'. Future scholar searches will now have a link to an Endnote citation when looking for articles.

Sometimes the endnote citation it generates is not 100% accurate but mostly allows you to import a working reference (have only had to tweak the odd one) - also useful if your new to endnote and have lots of old references to import
(up)

W

To import a citation from Pubmed to Endnote, just do the following:

1) When you have the Pubmed abstract onscreen, click on send to (top right).
2) Click on the option File from the Choose Destination options.
3) From the download options, choose Medline
4) Click on Create File.
5) The file will download and then you need to open it with Endnote.
6) You'll be prompted to choose a download filter. Search for and select Pubmed.
7) Click on Ok and it'll import.

That all sounds a bit long winded and there's actually an easier way. Just go to tools, select online search and choose pubmed. You'll automatically be able to search the Pubmed database and import whatever references you want.
:-)

A

Walminskipeas... You are a Rockstar!

I did what you suggested and it worked beautifully. Thank you so much! You saved me alot of time.

A.
:-)

H

A much easier high-throughput solution: I use this gadget called PaperFetch from here -
http://www.papertoolbox.com

Good luck!

T

Each pubmed article has its own PMID no. Copy the PMID no, go to Endnote search, select PMID and paste the PMID no of the article. Endnote will get the article for you.