Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

How good are Universities?

G

hello, I think is time to stop arguing and discuss about other things. I expressed myself unproperly last time I didnt want anybody to give me any money!!My new question is, where can I find info about how good are universities? The score list or so?Thank you

G

The reputation of individual departments and research groups is far more important than the reputation of the university as a whole at PhD level. Do a google search for something like "research opportunities UK" and you might come across the Hero website or similar ones.

G

Thank you, your info was of great help

The RAE (research assessment exercise) rating is the national scheme which ranks university departments for the standard of their research. This is a big process and is only done every six or seven years. The last one was in 2001.

G

The reputation of a research group can be assesed by looking at what they have published in relationship to the size of a group and in what journals. Look out for science, nature, cell. Nature for example rejects 95% of al papers and only takes the very best.