Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

how long did it take you to write up?

B

Hi,
I was just wondering how long its taken people to write up, if you have all your data ready to go? I'm most interested in science phds, but im sure there's some non scientists out there who would be interested as well.

B

After the first 3 years it took me about 3 months to finish off the loose ends and another 3 months to actually sit down and write up the thesis.

S

it depends

P

I did one in computer science, my thesis didn't really have 'stats' or tests as it was more software engineering. I started writing up at the beinging of my 3rd year and 'finished' at the end of my 3rd year.

It was only then I got told that a lot of what I wrote was incoherent and rubbish (my 1st supervisor wasn't very 'hands on' so my 2nd took over). So I spent my 4th year working full time and editing / writing up in the evenings.

P

If I can offer any advice, I would suggest you have a VERY clear structure before you start, plan each chapter and make sure each section has meaning.

My 2nd supervisor also said that you should be able to get a good idea of what the thesis is about, the problems you are solving and the results.. from simply reading the titles - so I'd suggest you sort out the titles and go from there.

It really is a 'how long is a peice of string' kind of question, however hopefully you'll not do what I did and 'write like a chav' for months, only to be told that your thesis reads like a Little Britain sketch (ok, so slightly exagerated.. but hey!)

H

Mine is science based.

I've been writing up as I go along, I have 4 chapters so far (up to end of 2nd year). I will prolly have to go back and edit like mad but at least its all down on paper.

T

good question birdsandbees, am doing social policy and right now i am in my second year. been ploughing through literature for the greater part, have done some interviews, will do a couple more half way next year. Have written half way through (its an upgrade from mres) and now i am wondering how long its going to take me to do my write up. in your situation if you have everything together then i can imagine in no more 6 months, or less you would done. perhaps. Anyone else out there (social sciences etc) to share their writing up experience and how long its taken them ??

C

I spent my 4th year from just before Christmas until the end of September, so 9 months writing up. I struggled quite a bit with the process, got v slow feedback and had to learn all the things my supervisor said I shouldn't bother learning to get on top of it.

T

9 months not bad at all CC, i am hoping i will use my forth year to do the write up because i definitely know that by this time next year i will be far from writing up. i guess a whole year of writing up is a good idea!