Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

How to address special circumstance in application...

V

I did a diploma and master degree a couple of ys ago. Got quite good grades (over 70) on the 1st one but the second one was a different story. I got into a relationship with someone who suffered from clinical depression and whose episodes were exacerbated by particularly stressful situations (exams, for example). She was also a foreigner (just like me) and I was her closest person in the country. My academic performance suffered that 2nd yr (went to just over 60, with 2 courses with borderline marks). How should I address this situation in my statement of purpose? My undergraduate (and a second postgraduate) grades are pretty good, similar to those of the diploma.

G

Not entirely sure how you would go about doing that, in a positive way. I am aware that one of the criteria that my Sup looks for in a potential PhD stundent is the ability to achieve an effective work/personal life balance. Maybe you are best not mentioning it fullstop.

P

Hi
I suffered from ill health for the last two years of my MSc and one of my modules was particularly affected and I got a lower mark. I chose not to say anything on my PhD application for the reason that golfpro said. I was a bit disappointed that one of my referees made reference to it but I still got in with one lower mark out of 4 and I think it shows more tenacity than giving excuses.
Just my experience...

A

Not quite sure what you are trying to say the reason you got a lower mark was? Because your girlfriend had depression? I'm sure you devoted a lot of love and effort to her but I'm not sure that counts I'm afraid.

S

i wouldn't make reference to it either.
but perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing if the person who writes your reference does. then it is not you, whining, but an accepted scholar who points out that you were struggling with personal issues during exam stage and thus explains why he/she recommends you although you had low grades.
i guess the "correct" thing to have done would have been to claim mitigating circumstances while you were doing your exams. bit late for that now, though.

adem, "caring" for a person who is mentally ill is very stressful. but it is important work that gets done in our society for free and without recompensation even in form of acknowledgement by relatives and partners. imagine the additional costs to the health care system all persons with mental health issues had to immediately be treated by professionals...