Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

how to make a proper research proposal?

M

I am a current pg student in Leicester and planning to apply for a phd study in IP law.

Although I've talked to the one likely to be my supervisor about my research subject, and he asked me to detail my research proposal, yet, I've no idea of how to outline my proposal in a right way. I listed the title and aspects to be analyzed in the proposal. That all I know about a proposal. Pls help me with it, because I also plan to apply a scholarship with this proposal.

M

Check out some how-to/guides to PhDs. They often include a research proposal chapter.

M

I've write around 500 words follow those instructions to describe my proposal. In fact, the problem I'm worried is that it seems to naive to be an acdemic work. Could anyone introduce a specified book, helping to establish my propoal?

There is a book called something along the lines of 'Formulating Effective Research Proposals' by Keith F. Punch from about five years ago.

It is based on educational research but is applicable to many other subjects and is very useful when making a research proposal.

V

In my opinion, there is no perfect proposal research, but having said that you can write a decent one addressing the important aspects in about 4,500/5,000 words, excluding references, as follows:

Introduction
Aim(s)
Main Research Question(s)
Research Approach
Ethical Consideration
Data Collection Techniques
Research feasibility
Research report/Product
Reference

Good luck!

G

"...he asked me to detail my research proposal".

Before you start doing 4-5000 words find out whether what he wants is the above (the long version), or the short version. In my experience, when submitting a proposal for consideration all most potential supervisors / research coordinators want is (quite literally) a couple of side of A4.

F

Absolutely agreed with golfpro - in my experience, at the early stage you are at the expectation would be for a very general proposal of a couple of sides of A4 - in fact some institutions actually state no more than 500 / 1000 words. The detailed proposal of 4000 - 5000 words is usually produced at a later stage.

D

i havent done a phd proposal ever, but i have done 3 different master degree proposals and i belive a Phd proposl is more or less the same, but more detailed than a master degree one.
bcoz phd is pure research u really need to detail all the hypotheses u will test, be very accurate about the research methods u intend to use, etc.
what your work is gona give to the academic body of knowledge, etc etc..
the more advanced ur degree is the more detailed the proposal should be. a bachelor degree proposal will not be as detailed as a master degree and so a master degree will be less detailed as a phd degree, i guess.

but let me tell u there are loads of phd proposal on the net, available to check out!!(up)