Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

how to narrow this topic

S

Hi, I have done lot of research for my transfer report but in last my supervisor said that my topic is too broad. i am working on a case study regarding promoting tourism in the area but it is not acceptable by my supervisor. help me to narrow down my topic which is evaluation of potential tourism in saangai. please suggest me as am feeling so sad.

K

Hi Sali,

I can't advise you on your individual project and neither will anybody else be able to as it is YOURS. However, my thesis is also inherently very broad in scope. To narrow it down I would suggest compiling a list of the questions that you seek to answer in your thesis. Then look at that list and work out what your key words are and how you are defining them. Pulling an example out of the hat, if I was doing a thesis examining the history of apples, I might list as a question: How have apples been consumed in the past? I would then think about what I meant by 'consumed', e.g. 'by 'consumed' I do not simply mean 'eaten' but appropriated as a cultural symbol' (I am talking utter nonsense now but I hope you catch my drift!).

I hope this helps a bit, but for specific help with your project the only person who can really advise is your supervisor.

S

hI Keep Calm.. You have kept me calm a bit really and thanks for your reply. I dont know as my supervisor left every thing upon me and not giving me clues.. etc
any way thanks again

T

Sali,
Could you write a list of possible questions that occur within your topic, then just choose to focus on only one or two of them?

Otherwise find areas and choose questions after:
Maybe you could focus by method of promotion; such as internet based, through agents, television campaigns...?
Or perhaps according to promoter; government led, operater-led, independent companies...?
Or maybe an aspect; promotions of wildelife, promotion of nightlife, promotion of local culture...?

If you wanted, you could even consider another similar geographical area, and examine how their model of tourism might be applied to Saangai?

Apologies if they're hopelessly vague, I'm afraid I have very little idea of what your research actually entails. Don't panic too much as your brain will just freeze! Try talking to other researchers, they don't have to be your supervisor. And look at the literature, what questions or topics have others addressed?

D

======= Date Modified 26 Mar 2010 21:13:28 =======
Saangai.. do you mean Shanghai?

you could pick a random aspect of your research, and narrow down towards a question or a situation. For example start with your audience. If it's 'everyone in tourism industry', then it might be too big of an audience. Then repeat that with other elements. A test could be try to narrow down every word in your topic individually to see where it takes you. Also read some thesis titles in your subject area, to understand where your supervisor is coming from. Good luck (up)

S

thanks to you all great people for your help. I am trying your suggestions and they are really helpful.