Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

i can't get no sleep...

U

just wondering what methods people use to get to sleep, when they are stressed or anxious about exams or interviews, etc.

A

exercise is good - I did yoga for two terms,now try to swim everyday.It is quite easy to learn basic techniques of relaxation-plenty of stuff on the web,and you can always use your university nurse practicioners to talk to you about that, and the counselling service can be helpful if you want to make some more structured changes.anyway,hope that the stress goes down soon!

exercise is the best thing. But if I still feel too anxious to sleep, I take natural camomile tablets (they are stronger than the tea) and read some comic books (or something else that is different than my research and fun).

S

i've developed a range of strategies. in times of high stress i make a sort of going-to-bed ritual out of some of them.

- hot tea (infusions) 30 minutes before bedtime: lavender, orange flowers, verbena work well for me. you can get special mixtures for relaxation in speciality shops.
- go for a walk 4 hours before bedtime
- lavender in all variations: as an additive in a bath, scented oil on a hot wheat pillow, scented oil in fragrance lights, also as tea
- soft instrumental music that turns itself off... personally i prefer classical piano pieces; or a CD with nature sounds (water, wind)
- before you go to bed, cool down your feet/lower legs, for example by showering them with cold water
- if all that doesn't help, i take valerian tablets
- during my master's final exams, i resorted to "real" medicine. this needs a prescription and is highly addictive, so can't be a long term solution.

S

oh, and of course there are the things you should avoid:
- coffee... works differently for everyone. in times of stress coffee after midday is taboo for me.
- the same is true for tea, and some infusions, like ginger, mint, and more... these are coffee alternatives, they will keep you similarly awake
- vitamin c, if taken in the evening, will keep you awake. so, no orange juice or fresh fruit before you go to bed!
- same is true for chocolate. cocoa has coffee-like effects.

good luck with re-learning how to sleep!

R

You need a good foot massage from someone who knows how to give a good foot massage.

H

Going to the gym (get the stress fustration out) or a more gentle swim late in the evening really helps me.

Reading a boring book also helps.

K

I start interviewing tomorrow and I'm REALLY nervous, couldn't sleep last night and when I did I dreamt that I'd had a below knee amputation ? something to do with watching Forrest Gump before I went to bed. I definitely sleep better after a long walk.. and a glass of wine.. and a crossword. If I'm lying in bed unable to sleep, I try really hard to think about nice things, day dream about a festival I'm going to this year.. just make up stories really.. anything but think about the next day.

C

my methods are:

1. avoid TV/PC at least 2 hours before bed (visual simulation makes it harder for me to sleep)

2. read a boring book

3. herbal teas (the Dr Stuart's range is quite good)

4. I tried to count sheep but it doesn't work for me... what I do sometimes is choose a category (for instance country capitals) and go over the alphabet and find one item for each letter.. it's sad I know but it works!

C

oooo yes... wine always helps ;)

reading a boring book makes me drift into other thoughts rather than sleep, so I end up staying awake thinking. That's why I read something fun and easy.

S

hey compSci, i do something similar sometimes... i chose two random letters and try to find as many words as possible that start with these two words. like, half, hand, hacker, hang, ... silly and pointless, but works for me!
i think the point of these "counting sheep" methods is to avoid the situation where your mind, which has been occupied all day, is now finally unoccupied and tadaaa... all the successfully suppressed worries emerge. you were tired and nearly falling asleep, but now you are wide awake and worrying about the next day.
so, rather keep your mind occupied with capitals or something until you gently fall asleep

oh yes, i agree with alcohol. but take it easy on this, it is and remains an addictive substance.
uh, sex can help too

U

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will buy a boring book - any examples?

And maybe all the single gals and guys on this forum could experiment with shani's last suggestion?