Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

I feel like a failure

W

Hi people. It's like the end of the world ! After half year graduating from my first degree, I am still in the midst of searching for a funding for phd in UK.

Firstly, I am from Malaysia, and this makes things difficult. The funding for international student in UK is so scarce, I doubt I can ever obtain a scholarship. Most supervisors had advised me to look for a scholarship from my own country. Well, this is even worse, because there's hardly any postgraduate scholarship for us !

I got a Upper-second class for my degree in Microbiology. As I came from an Australian university, Upper-Second falls within the range of 70-79. Now, will that make me a First-Class in UK? I am so confused !

I am trying for ORSAS schemes but I am also unsure I would ever get it (no matter how well I propose a project).

Oh god, I just feel like a failure :(

W

In addition, am I eligible for funding by MRC and BBSRC?

S

hey,
if you are eligible for ORS awards, you are generally not eligible for MRC etc.

as you have not been resident in the EU for the last three years you are not eligible for MRC/BBSRC funding.

you never know with the ORSA... just apply! it might very well work out. you never know if you don't try!

W

Hi shani. Thanks for your reply. ORS is my only choice, and I do hope it works.

I am seeing light again

P

have you try MARA?
try MARA London website
they shld update regularly

L

Hi-

The Ford Foundation might also prove to be a resource for funding. You can google their webpage and find your nearest foudnation office - I believe the closest one to Malaysia is in China. A good resource for funding info is www.postgrad.com. Good Luck!

W

Thank you for your constructive advice. Really appreciate it!

S

Why do you want to do PhD in UK???

Why not do it in the US, CAN, NZ, AUS,...

I think you are not flexible and that is the root cause of frustration.