Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

I have just done something really silly - advice please...

N

I have just submitted the introduction chapter for thesis, only 2000 words long and I am discussing it with my supervisors on Thursday, the deadline was today and I was faffing... I'm rubbish at submitting things at the best of times but as they weren't pleased with my last submission I was extra-concerned about this one.

I was asked to include a brief overview of the method - I am primarily using a narrative approach, but also doing a small autoethnographic study at the beginning, as part of the main study rather than a pilot though. In my introduction I only mentioned the narrative method and completely forgot the autoethnography, although it will be comparatively smaller (haven't started actual the research yet) it is still important, especially in terms of the theoretical approach.

Of course I feel like a real idiot, do you think I should wait until Thursday to admit this to my supervisors, hoping they won't notice (a possibility), or email them tomorrow to tell them I've realised what I've missed out? I'm thinking more the latter, as surely I'd look worse for not mentioning it at all? I haven't focused on my methods section for a little while as I've been doing my literature review.

Thanks, Natassia

Email them. It will make you feel better and stop you worrying so much and they will probably understand. My experience is that usually when you think something is not clear enough or has been ommitted, an academic picks it up straight away.

I'm not saying this to worry you, they don't notice it and think 'omg, why is this person doing this-they shouldn't be a postgrad', their critical antenae just start waving and buzzing and they then have to point it out to you so you can fix it up for them. It's almost compulsive, I think.

It is all part of the process- criticise, the person then changes things, academic is happy and generally the writing is stronger and more cohesive-or in my most recent case trying to get an article published on MEd thesis-they can follow my methodogy more clearly (I left some steps out because I had such a minimal word limit).

We all feel like real idiots all the time...I think that I was hoping that doing a doctorate would make me feel less of an idiot but actually it doesn't.

A

======= Date Modified 11 Jan 2012 08:07:15 =======
======= Date Modified 11 Jan 2012 08:06:55 =======
I'm a card carrying member of the 'I've just done something silly club'!

I agree with Pjlu and would contact them. The way I would approach it is email them the correct version, be brief, be briefly apologetic (don't call yourself an idiot in the email!) and put something like "Please find attached my draft introduction, including discussion of autoethnography. This supersedes version sent to you [date] - apologies for any confusion caused. Looking forward to discussing this with you. Best N" and then would leave it at that.

I wouldn't raise it in the meeting unless they do but even if they do, again briefly apologise but don't go overboard. We all make mistakes like that. I thought for one awful moment that I had submitted the 'track changes' version of my thesis (now that WOULD have been embarassing!!). Thankfully I didn't though:-)

Good luck with your meeting (up)

N

Just noticed you have five stars Ady - congratulations!

I did exactly that and they seemed quite happy, so hopefully tomorrow's meeting won't end in tears. I now have some teaching sorted for next semester so I'm happy about that!

Thanks, Natassia x