Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

I have quit my phd

E

I have quit my phd. Alot of u know that it probably wasnt for me... but my supervisor has driven me out and I am starting afresh with another university.

S

do you have another uni lined up?

E

just about. I just cudnt take it anymore. They are trying to get me to stay. I am confused. But for now I dont want to stay and I have quit. I am actually looking for employment until i get a letter of confirmation from this other university.

S

Shame this hasn't worked out for you, hope things get better in the near future.

Was there no way of getting rid of you're supervisor?

E

Yep - I jst dont think i am cut out for this. To those of u who are worrying abotu nothing... grades mean nothing. I got the top first in my year, publications, 3 phd acceptances... it means nothing. Uve got to find a place and supervisor that u are happy with.

S

couldn't agree more

A

Onwards and upwards EE, the best is yet to come. Good luck for the future.

W

Ah well... I am sure you will find your niche elsewhere

R

I agree, you should complain. I think you could argue that they have ruined your career prospects etc. Departments do have a responsibility to you, after all you are still a student (I think this is exactly the reason these days departments have a system of advisors and tutors to try and prevent this).

Anyway, good luck. It certainly sounds like the right descision.

H

Hi EE, Once you have found out the situation at the other uni, I would, as DanB suggests, write a letter of complaint. From what you have told us over the last couple of weeks, they sound very unprofessional. Once you have left for good send the letter to the top, not to the department where one of their friends can ignore it! Are you in your first year? If so take this year as a practice run. Think positively about it. Try not to dwell on the negatives - namely people who are out of your control. Good luck EE!

D

if u say they are trying to get u to stay then can u not do something about it at the same unvirsity. I thnk u may have a chance to still make things work.

J

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. Let us know how you get on. :)

J

you need to tell us where this place is so we can blacklist it! *evil*

E

I went on holiday then I spoke to my first supervisor (head of school) and she told em not to worry about a thing. She talked me out of quiting etc... she basically said that teh otherone is supervisign me wrongly and something will be done once i get thru my first year review.I trust her. I will carry on. I feel like a wimp for not quitting .... but i know i have made the right decision as I am not givign this up for anyone.