Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Interview next week

P

I know it's short notice but I have just found this site! I have a PhD interview next week and wondered if anyone could give me any tips. I was accepted for a PhD in Old English but didn't get any funding. Then my tutor suggested I apply for a fully-funded PhD attached to a project she was running. The project is language-based on medieval costume, however the PhD is in medieval art - looking at representations of costume. Obviously she wouldn't have asked me to apply unless she thought I was capable, but it is a sideways move from my MA and previous interests. It sounds absolutely fascinating and I am really keen to be a part of the project. I know I am second best as they have had no other applicants but in this case second best is still pretty good. However I have the interview next week and I don't want to mess it up as I already have a foot in the door. What should I concentrate on to show I am flexible and committed enough to be successful in this area. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

W

Hello, congrats on getting the interview! You'll probably be asked what interests you about the topic, what skills and knowledge you bring, and to talk about your masters or BA project so you could do some preparation in these areas. Perhaps you could read a couple of papers on the topic as well. Before my interview I read some papers my supervisor wrote on the topic which helped to inform me about the area. I was asked which particular aspects interested me most, and I was asked questions about my research skills.

It certainly sounds like you are enthusiastic, that helps loads!! Good luck!