Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Is best to do one's post graduate in the same place as one's under graduate?

J

I'm very tempted to say it is.

S

It doesn't matter in the slightest. If you stay at one university all your academic life then that my show that you are not flexible or adaptable, but I still doubt it matters.

J

Well, to be honest, I was more intrested to hear what other people would have to say on this subject
Personally I have found it quite difficult setteling down a differant university from my under graduate university and I was just wondering how general this problem might be.
I think there is a serious issue, that it is not as eaasy for students to settle in at post graduate level than at under graduate level.

K

I'd have thought it would be better to go to a different uni, but I suppose it depends what kind of person you are. Relocating somewhere you don't know anyone is pretty "character building" and you won't fall into too familiar territory.

S

i recon its important to broaden your "porfolio" as much as possible, and moving around the country to different uni's is the perfect way to do that. by meeting new people, making new contacts, working in different labs e.t.c., you will be more involved with the national/international academic community.

Obviously, it is scary settling down in a new uni...there's no one who finds that easy. But just because its daunting, it doesnt mean you shouldnt do it.

I suppose its different for every1. You may have found your perfect department/supervisor/research area at your undergraduate uni, which may mean its a good idea to stay at that uni. Many factors need to be considered and balanced before making a decision like this.

S

Most of my academics suggested to me that it is better to go to a different university than that of your previous degree in order to broaden your experience, meet other academics and to see how things are done in different places. Therefore same as the world of work - work for a range of employers soon after graduation, take their training and take away the best bits of each.

T

I got offered a few different projects at my last University, but my undergrad supervisor specifically talked me against staying because of the reasons already mentioned (or because he was trying to get rid of me!). I think it's a good thing to move.

R

I stayed in the same city, but am doing my PhD at a research institute. I am still officially registered at the same university as i did my undergraduate. I can see the benefits of moving around but at the same time, i like it here and do get a whole different experience compared to my undergraduate days. However, uni friends mostly have moved away now, so make sure that that isn't a reson for staying!
I think it depends on the individual again, and since i am getting married next year, i can't see myself moving away, and will hope to do a postdoc in the same city too!

A

I always thought it was better to go to a different uni for PG studies..however I have done my BSc, am doing my MSc..and now i've been offered a PhD....all at the same university.. Needless to say..I am definately expecting to be asked why I stayed on at the same university for the last SEVEN YEARS!

J

it depends. if you're doing something where your university really excels then i dont think it would be frowned upon if you didnt move uni.

S

And I agree with DanB

J

i agree with those who agree with me.