Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Is Ph.D possible?

D

Hello All,
I'm struggling with a decision. I'm an Undergrad about to finish my degree in Computer Science as an Adult (age 30). Where I live one can start the Ph.D. straight from the Undergrad in Comp. Sci. and I've been planning on doing this since before I started my undergrad.

I'm married with two children (both under the age of 5), and I have a full time Job that I can't leave (I'm the breadwinner for the family). Is it even possible for someone in my situation to obtain a Ph.D. in Comp Sci? Do you know of any people in their Ph.D. programs who also maintain full time jobs and have a family?

Thank you all
D

C

not sure what country you are in, however I've just passed my viva (with minor corrections) for a PhD in comp sci. as a mother with children. I did however take the PhD on full time. I found that with the research council funding I received from EPSRC (which isn't taxable at all) combined with the fact I no longer had to pay council tax, student loans company, etc., meant that financially I wasn't that worse off than working in full time employment. I did have to take a bit of a drop, but it wasn't a great deal, and I found the flexibility in working hours in research far far far more beneficial than any I'd ever experienced anywhere else. It enabled me to make cost savings where I wouldn't have normally been able to (cutting down on travel costs, working from home, etc.) and simple things like time saving shopping out of Tesco "rush hour" meant I had more time to cook and therefore the meals became cheaper.

Anyway, might be worth some consideration.

D

Thank you for your quick reply!

I am in the US, and I work as a Software Engineer for NASA, so I am really reluctant to leave here, since I'd anticipating that the income drop would be rather significant.

I'm guessing that the viva is like the Comprehensive exams in the US. Did you notice a large decrease in the amount of available time you could spend with your children?

Thanks!
D

C

The Viva is the final exam where you have to defend your completed thesis in person to an internal and external examiner, over a period of some hours. Seeing as NASA have a great deal to do with academia (one of the departments I have worked in collaborates with one of NASAs many branches), I would have thought that they actively encourage you to partake in part-time academic activities, particularly PhDs. As such I think you are in a perfect position to undertake one, especially as it seems they have already supported you through your undergraduate study.

Regarding family life, I found doing the PhD easier on my children emotionally than working for a commercial company (which I have done also), as my time was far more flexible. I was able to drop everything if I had to, and could work strange hours when necessary, to catch up. I'm not sure this would be the case for yourself though as I assume you still have to meet your employers normal working hours

A

Hi Dst

Is distance learning a possibility for you?

Angelette