Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Lab partner "stealing" ideas?

D

Hi,

This is my first post - so apologies if I have placed it in the wrong place, or if this has come up before. I've done a search but couldn't see anything specifically (or that had answers).

Recently I have been nearing completion of my first full independently written paper - but found out that my lab partner submitted a 150 word abstract to a conference based on my paper idea. Our subject areas are different enough that I can't see why they would have submitted something that they knew wasn't within their scope. Nonetheless, I got asked to help co-author the paper when it got accepted.

I've spoken to my supervisor(s) and found that they think that it's because I'm jealous and that "there's always overlap". I'm not jealous at all, but I am slightly annoyed having my paper idea "stolen" and then asked to contribute to something that they've not worked on and now need my help.

Any suggestions on how to proceed, or similar experiences / outcomes?
Thanks.

If you are the larger contributer to the paper, then make damn sure you get 1st author, is all I can say.

Next time I'd be tempted to phone the conference and tell them its plagarised :p

Is it possible to be less candid about your research in future i.e. keep the best info to yourself? or does the lab partner have to be involved?

D

I still could take action - but the department are keen for the two of us to work closely, as we are some of the first PhDs to come through the department.
Also, I don't want to cause a problem since our department is small and there are only a handful of PhD students.

Since this "incident", I've kept things close to my chest - but I *shouldn't* have to(?!!).
I don't know if they have to be involved directly but I do know that our projects were far enough apart (and they've admitted themselves) that it doesn't contribute to their work in anyway so it should never have been a problem.

That's more of a rant now...
Thanks for your reply.

O

This is a longstanding conundrum for most of us in research - see my thread 'Intellectual Stinginess?' and the responses I received from esteemed forum members. I would think it would be most intense at the point in our careers when we're performing solo, and getting grants etc. on our own. Down the line, collaborating in groups *should* make this less problematic... as by then people would have their own established individual reputations.

I'm sure you'll be keeping a lid on your best ideas from now on, however. ;-)

my supervisor is VERY tight with her research - she doesn't let ANYONE see it and has banned me from discussing it in job interviews and even putting it on my CV (I've ignored this advice). But she's a prof, so I guess it doesn't necessarily get better. She advises me not to discuss any research - to keep key findings out of conference presentations etc until it is published.

D

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at that topic and have a good read.

:)

J

I suppose it partly depends upon how this work fits in with your overall research. If it is on the periphery, then it might not be as big a problem as it would be if it was a major area. If it is a very important bit, then I would not want to let it out of the bag to a wider audience until I was ready, which may not be until after completion. My research, now I have changed the direction a bit, is something I want to keep to myself and not let others know about yet. The area has always been 'different' but before it did not look particularly earth shattering in the grand scheme of education to those outside the area, now I think it could be pinched by someone who has more time to spend on it. If it is vital stuff and you want to keep it to yourself, tell them so, they will just have to withdraw if they don't know enough about it to do something on their own. Don't be bullied into joining in if you don't want to. On the other hand, if you so want to go ahead, tell them you want at least equal recognition

P

If your paper is nearly ready, and you've not replicated any of the work in it for the 'co-authored paper', could you not just submit it as normal? Then you could reference yourself in the other :D

D

======= Date Modified 20 Aug 2010 17:56:26 =======
The work is part of my main thesis. Which is why I was a little peeved (to say the least).
I think equal recognition is a must for the paper or I won't give over any of my work..

The paper is nearly finished - and I think I might reference myself, however, I won't be able to get that published before this one goes to print...

ok - if its YOUR thesis and they're just tagging along with what you've done then you MUST be 1st author. Make sure you are!