Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Life after phd

T

Hey everyone, i'm newbie to the forum and was just wanted to ask a question about life after my phd. I'm in my second year of a phd in biochemistry and am already getting restless. I'm starting to wonder whether i really do want to work in science and was thinking that it might be better to go into something where i can earn more money and earn it quicker. My question is what sort of prospects do science phd students realistically have to get a job in industry/academia. It seems to me that in academia there aren't enough good jobs for qualified people, which seems a waste when i could go into something unrelated to science and be earning far more money. Industry seems like a good place to go, but my supervisor is totally against that and says it's not worth it and i should probably stay in academia. I was thinking of going into pharmacuitcal sales as an old phd student of my supervisor went into that and seems to be doing really well for himself. But anyway, what do you lot think???? Thanks for reading :)

B

The short answer- Its not good. I am still temping and doing bits of teaching here and there, and my standard of living has dropped since I was a PhD student (which wasnt exactly opulent to begin with).

I recommend you make as many contacts in industry while you are in uni because its a lot harder once you are out on the other side

R

I'm in a different discipline, but I'm afraid academia seems to be characterised by short term contracts, periods of unemployment and low wages. If I had my time again I would have qualified in a different way. However we are all different if you love research - stay where you are.

T

Well that all sounds quite negative :S I was maybe thinking of doing a postdoc and seeing where it went from there. I don't really want to keep doing postdocs until i get a lectureship or whatever tho, and to be honest the time doing a postdoc I could in another job, actually able to pay my rent :-S Amusingly i think working in science has made me lose a lot of the excitment I used to have for it :)

S

Certainly there's more money in industry. If you are concerned about your salary then that is an option. But you might do better still to do further afield - like banking. Really though, no-one should do a PhD is they are after a big salary - that's just not going to happen. There are much better ways to acheive that.

S

Oh dear - my posts are always full of errors....

T

Nah it's really helpful, even if you have made mistakes. What i'm worried about is if i even really want to continue. I'm just really de-motivated and really starting to wonder if i want to even complete my phd. I'm almost 100% sure I don't want to work in science or teaching afterwards so i'm starting to wonder if there is any point continuing.

B

Hi,
I have been in the same position as you. I've known since my second year I didnt want to go into research, its just not for me. For me, giving up wasnt an option, I'd made it this far and I wasn't about to let it beat me. I also knew that it was something I had wanted to do, and would probably regret it if I did. However considering not carrying on with your phd is not the 'failure' that people make out it is, I actually think its a lot braver to admit that you dont want to do something than carry on because you feel you ought to.
As for jobs in industry, I'm not really sure- with 6 months to go until im hoping to finish I'm beginning to look for at least ideas of jobs I'd like, but not finding much- however I think it's probably equally difficult to get jobs in a number of sectors ,not excluding finding several post doc positions in the coming years if thats the route you want.

S

I often feel like I don’t want to complete my PhD too (I’m in my second year). But then I realise that I’m just looking for the easy way out, because deep down I’m a lazy git and I would prefer NOT to do hard work when I have to. I guess you have to ask yourself whether you’ve genuinely lost all the passion and interest in biology/science that you started with, or whether you are just looking for the easy way out of PhDhood? You don’t have to answer! Just be honest with yourself and have a think about it.

S

hai i am doing my masters degree in biotechnology and looking for my phd in germany . but after reading the verdict it seems that going to industries would be better than to do phd. cant i find my way into industreis after my phd or it is better to go to industries after my masters.what would be my salary in biotech industries after my masters....

I'm at the start of my third year, have recently been appointed to lectureship on an open ended contract with a pretty good package, problem is, I don't know that I really love research I was just terrified of not having an income when my funding ran out. It's not easy, I'd say be brave and think if you really want to carry on doing what you're doing and don't be afraid to break out of it.