Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Light at the end of the tunnel

H

Successfully sacked supervisors, after 10 months!

R

Do tell us more. did you get a new supervisor?

interesting terminology that you use " you fired them ". it implies that your supervisors worked for you?

where you self funded? if that the case i would say its quite appropriate term to use.

H

The irony is THEY funded the PhD for 3 years. I sacked them in the write-up period which I had to pay. The new team of supervisors need to go through the red tape and be confirmed by the Research Degrees Office. As for the complaint against the supervisors, it was not upheld but that did not negate the request for a change of supervisory team. Pigs will fly if the university protects students from rogue academics.
As long as I don't have to tolerate being "supervised" by the previous set of supervisors, half the battle is won. My new team of supervisors are really enthusiastic and student friendly. I should be back on track to submit in 9 months.

B

Well done, I wonder if you could write up your experiences (either online or in print) to give hope to others that have bullying supervisors and show that there is some hope.

H

Hi Badhaircut,
Yep, its been 10 long months and I really thought everything was going down the pan. Last week, I asked advice from every possible source including the legal aid team and post grad officers within the university and it seemed like curtains for me. In desperation, I spoke (and cried) to the VC's secretary which seemed to do the trick! The following day, I had a positive response and was told that the request for a change of team is going ahead! Some arses must have been kicked real hard. How do I feel? Grrrreat! They deserved it.

J

Make sure you buy some anonymous flowers for the VC's secretary. Secretaries are very important. They have the real power.

H

What a lovely idea. Yes, I will do that.