Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Major corrections

V

I’m about to resubmit after major changes, but I’m afraid that it is for naught, because my supervisor walked out of my supervision before my first viva.
My second supervisor has been less than supportive, he contradicts everything I say and this is not even his area. He has no knowledge of the area I’m writing in. All he has offered to actually do is to read the thesis for English corrections.

I’m getting a new external because the former external that tore my thesis to bits refuses to follow the viva rules of the university. The former external is actually now starting to publish my work without mentioning me or my supervisor at all!

I’m really scared that I’m putting in a lot of effort that is just a waste of time because they may not have any intention of ever passing me

R

Hi Vimes, there are several people on here who have been awarded their PhD after major corrections - don't lose hope!

S

hi Vimes
I've had friends with similar situations; it can be very frustrating and you could feel that it is so unfair. Whatever you do, don't give up. Speak to somebody, maybe from your graduate research school, don't give up. Don't worry so much about the publication that is "stolen" away from you; deal with that later.

First, continue to keep yourself healthy, take good care of yourself, pray to God, meditate etc. etc. or do something that is nice for yourself. Don't stress over it.

At this moment you need to get your phd first;
focus on getting it passed.

love satchi

Y

Dear Vimes. I am in a situation which is even worse than yours. My main-supervisor on the paperwork is not very supportive. In my past 4 years, he keep using excuse saying "I am busy" to not have any meeting with me. Actually, my second supervisor is the true supervisor who, however, is far away in another country, and totally have no idea about the field of my study. The most funny fact is he hold the professor position in this field for couple of years !! I do not know how this happened.

I think there are lots of politics involved in our institute. So these guys keep fighting each other. I am a simple PhD candidate. I just keep pushing my works forward everyday. However, they do not care about me and my works. Once I have a publication comes out, they come and pretend to be one of co-authors who was involved. They do not even give you the supportive idea, just give you lots of rubbish ideas and sometimes purely against you and your paper. They keep questioning all details on your paper, sometimes even lying, and they provide false "fact" to against your idea and results. When the paper is published, they then all disappeared in a thin air. I am saying truth here. If I know situation is like this, I would not do this PhD. It wastes my time.

feel better now....... :)