Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Managing supervisors

B

I am looking for advice on how to manage my supervisor. I feel that he keeps making me to things that are not related to my project. The reasons for the diversions seem genuine enough (career development). But I cannot help wondering - whose career?
If anyone else has had similar experiences then I would love to hear from them.
Thanks.

S

Can you say no? I'd couch it in terms that while you appreciate the opportunities etc, you're concerned that this is taking time away from your thesis and you'd really like to finish in 3 years...expressing a desire to be a good student and get on with your own work surely can't be a bad thing!;-)

A

Hi Bluejogger, how far into your PhD are you? is this lab work or papers/supervising etc? I have had the same situation throughout my PhD, being asked to take on other lab projects/supervising students/helping with papers/books, and numerous other random things! I am person who struggles to say no to anyone - especially my supervisor!

I think dependent on what work it is, it can be best like Sue said to say no and explain you really want to put all your best efforts into your PhD! However, the job market is very competitive for getting postdocs, and is only going to get worse. If you can get a balance of work commitments, then you might find you can still submit close to 3 years, or on it if even, and improve your CV dramatically by taking on other things!
I am just about to pass the 3 year line, and am writing up at the moment, with plans to submit by xmas/jan. If i hadnt taken on extra duties it might be almost complete, however, my CV is much improved for these extra opportunities my boss has given me (with a job already).

Also remember, your supervisor might have been doing this for sometime, look at his track record for previous students, what seems like a side track from your work to him might be one of the most important bits of your PhD. (i don't mean this to sound condescending in anyway, i know nothing of your abilities, just putting ideas out).

Good luck (up)

B

Thanks guys for the helpful advice.

I am 6 months into a lab based PhD. My fellow students seem to have similar experiences with him.
I am quite concerned about this because the track record is not great-with 1 quitting early, 2 not submitting after her three years and 1 successfully submitting after 3 years. As you point out, I simply have to focus on my own work first and then consider other projects.

A

Hi Bluejogger, well considering the circumstances, and potential problems of other students I would just politely say you just want to get on with your own work!! getting the PhD is the only bit that counts! see how you get on over the next year and depending on your progress could always take on small extras later!!
Best of luck :-)

P

Hmm, interesting situation.

I will I think differ slightly, for I dont think the PhD is the only thing that counts.

Why? For in a job market as this, where a college in London received 147 applications for an entry level lectureship, you can probably take it that every post doc applicant or applicant for a teaching post will have that PhD or surely be having it in a few months,

What distinguishes you then?

It is that 'dramatically' different CV, plus letters of ref that reflect this.

In any specific situation, it depends ultimately on one thing: will you, as a person, be able to handle other things and do thte thesis on time? If yes, go ahead and dramatically change your CV.

I should say though, that 'elders' and supervisers will always say: thesis first, survival second, and this extra stuff third. Yes, agreed, simply because if thesis goes to hell, and you die of starvation or depression then who wil do the extra stuff? To that extent yes.

But, do not underestimate the value of a clearly multitasking CV, that shows brilliance. (PS; also depends on what kind of extra stuff? If it makes sense on the CV, go for it, if your are able to balance everything)

I shudder to think of 147 applications for a not-so-good uni in London... bloody hell.