Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Motivation for Viva

S

Am new to this forum and hoping some of you can give me some inspiration. I handed in my Ph.D thesis at the end of September and have my Viva at the beginning of December. I know it's getting near but since I handed my thesis in, I just can't bare to look at it again. I have several papers which need writing also but again I just can't bare the thought of sitting down to it again ! Not sure where all my motivation has gone, burnt-out a bit prior to thesis hand-in but surely I should have recovered from that now !? Anyone in the same boat or post Viva who can give me some inspiration ?!:$

R

Hi Scienceurchin, being burnt out sounds a good description of how I felt after submitting too. I couldn't bear to pick my thesis up either. It took me until about 2 or 3 weeks before my viva to sit down with it and start reading it through properly. It wasn't easy, I really had to force myself and it was only that knowledge of the impending viva date that made me get on with it! Not because I didn't care about it, but I felt so mentally drained that I wanted a rest from it all, but there wasn't any time for that.

Do you have to write the papers now, or could they wait? I took on a few things to write before my viva as I thought they would help me revise, but it didn't work out in practice. I didn't want to think about them just then. I agreed to do that work as others had told me it helped them with their viva preparation, but it didn't really do it for me.

My supervisors told me not to do anything PhD-related after submitting, just rest, have a life and stop agonising about the viva. One said to read my thesis through a week or so before the viva and that would be ok, as he said you know more than you think, and it was true, though I didn't believe him at the time! He said it was important to come to the viva fresh, after the rather demanding submission experience. I think that helped me get some distance from it and see it as a whole piece of work, because I was so bogged down in the details after submission that it was hard to be objective about it. Plus I didn't want to do the viva in a frame of mind where I was sick of it, as I didn't think I'd do myself justice somehow!

I'd suggest in the time before the viva, just read it through, know what the strengths and weaknesses are and how you'd deal with questions about them. Know exactly what you wrote and why. You probably already do anyway! I had post-its all over my thesis with extra references or clarifications that I thought I'd get asked about, but I didn't need them in the end. I wish I hadn't got so worried beforehand, but it's hard not to when you've been doing it for years! :-)

You could search on this forum for Lara's viva experiences too, as she did an awful lot of revision based on the Murray book, a hell of a lot more than me, and that worked for her. Definitely have a break from your thesis if you think you need it though, mentally or physically. I was surprised how knackered and unmotivated the whole thing made me, but talking to other people, that sounds fairly normal and seems to fit with what you're saying too.

C

Yes I know what you mean. My viva is in around 3 weeks and I still can't stand the sight of it. Will have to soon though.

I'm thinking about printing out the university's criteria for meriting the award of a PhD, and writing under each point how the criteria were satisfied. The examiners' can't move the goalposts because I forgot some crap I wrote 3 months ago.

S

Hi Rubyw, Thanks so much for that message - it has reassured me and is so nice to talk to someone who has been there ! You mentioned a book by Murray ? Have searched the forum for Lara but can't find anything about this book. I think it may help, do you have any more details as I might try and track it down on line. Although I am dreading my Viva I suppose it will be good to finally finish my Ph.D after 4 years. Am currently also looking for jobs and having minimal success at the moment. Did you manage to get a job quickly post Ph.D and do you have any tips ? :-)

S

Cleverclogs - your in the same boat as me ! I don't think they can fail us just because we forget a few details. I never thought of looking at the guidelines for examiners, it's a good idea and I may just do that. I am currently trying to pick holes in my own work to sort of prepare for worse case scenario but am not sure if this is very helpful. Are you just reading over your thesis or trying to get to grips with your field in general as well ? have no idea what they will ask me !

R

Hi Scienceurchin,

The book was 'How to survive your viva' by Rowena Murray, it's a 2003 publication by the Open University. I know various other fellow PhD students I work with also thought it was useful. If nothing else, it demystifies some of the viva processes. I know I was told about viva procedures years ago but it didn't mean anything at the time, it was too far off as I was just fixated on submitting at that time.

Get a job quickly!!!!!! :-) I'm still stuck in the university administration system with its endless procedures that have to be followed before my PhD is finally wrapped up, though I passed my viva back in May. It's so nice now to be able to mentally put it behind me though! The job thing isn't too desperate (yet!) as I did my PhD part-time and have been working and teaching all the way through in various jobs. I'm looking around at the moment, as I really feel like moving onto something new. It will probably be better for you if you're a scientist, I'd imagine there are more jobs around than in the arts.

S

Great thanks RubyW ! well done on the Ph.D as well it's a HUGE achievement esp. if you were working at the same time..respect :-(

S

oops that face was supposed to be a smiling one, I think my fingers are too connected to my mood right now !:-) That's better !

R

Hi Scienceurchin I also have my viva early dec and I totally understand how hard it is to look at the thesis after submission. I am feeling like a flat tyre at the moment and have to find a way to get myself in a positive and constructive frame of mind. I am going to write chapter summeries of each section which will make me look at it.

S

Hi Rose09, that's a really good idea - I might try that too. It's so tough to go back to it, I keep finding mistakes and my brain just won't cooperate ! Not long now though, will just be glad when it's all over !