Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Need some advice please

H

Hi guys,
Do you think that it is a good idea to have a job in the first year of PhD study?

thanks

C

Is your PhD full or part time, and what sort of job are you thinking about? I know some full-time funded PhDs specify that you can't work over a certain number of hours per week, for example.

H

i am a full time PhD student. I just want to know whether PhD students should work and study at the same time. Is it a good idea? do you think that it maybe slow down my study if i have a job during my phd study. advice please~~

C

There's an expectation that you will work full-time on your PhD, so if you have a job on top of that, you will be working a lot of hours. Speaking from my own experiences, I have taken on small amounts of university-related work (teaching, invigilating etc) because it's good experience, but I would have found it difficult to have a regular job as well as my PhD. It depends on your circumstances, and I would also say it's important to check the conditions of your PhD, as there may be a specific restriction on how many hours of work you can take on.

T

We are told we are only allowed to work 6 hours a week outside of our PhD work, and that includes demonstrating, tutoring etc

S

hi hiini,
I became a part-time cleaner during the first year of my phd and I gave math tuition to 4 children every Wednesday. I loved being with the children because they always made me laugh but juggling the time was difficult. I found that I had to make up the time in the weekends on my PHD work for what I didn't do on that Wednesday because I was going to their houses.

I stopped the cleaner job after 10 months because it was simply too much for me, walking 50 minutes one-way, and another 50 min all the way back, just to save busfare.

The good part of my short stint as a cleaner was the plane tickets I managed to buy for my parents to come visit me.

If you have sufficient funding, please don't work another job during your phd.
love satchi

Quote From TreeofLife:
and that includes demonstrating

Against government cuts? Excellents! Great to see the spirit of '68 contractually enshrined :)

K

I worked part-time (10 hours a week) all through my PhD, and then full-time after my funding ran out. I found the part-time work fitted in fine for the most part, since it was just one evening and one weekend afternoon each week. Working full-time while finishing writing up and then doing corrections was pretty horrendous, however.

D

Quote From Eds:
Quote From TreeofLife:
and that includes demonstrating

Against government cuts? Excellents! Great to see the spirit of '68 contractually enshrined :)

That made me smile :)